New Lounger
    Thanks

WmiPrvSE.exe constantly spiking CPU usage

Hello, im new to the forums but have been a subscriber to Windows Secrets for the last 3/4 years now. I'm a computer amateur but i don't mind dabbing into the system settings, so long as i have a how to guide.

My question is this.

A few days ago i experienced an unusual long hang on the PC as i was going about my daily duties. I immediately opened task manager to see what the problem was (thinking a program had stopped responding). Upon loading task manager i noticed the CPU Usage was at 100%, after the long PC hang i kept my eye on the CPU usage and it started spiking about, every 3-4 seconds it would surge to between 50% and 100% then go back to under 10%.
    The task manager didn't show any processes that were above CPU usage of 10. I dug further into it and went to Resource Monitor.
    Upon loading Resource Monitor i found once process to be bouncing about as described above. This process was called "WmiPrvSE.exe"

I have been looking over the internet for a few hours for a solution to this process spiking. I have tried eliminating a few Windows Services one by one, whilst watching the CPU usage using the below steps:
    1) Go to administrative tools
    2) Services
    3) Click On "Status Columns"

4) Now Go down the list of "Started" ...Alphabetically ..to the "Windows..." maybe 5 to 15 services.

5) Stop one at a time. while checking the "Task Manager CPU Usage"

6) You found the Problem...

This did not solve the problem. However,

I found a solution which does stop the CPU usage from spiking every 3-4 seconds but requires me to do the process each time i boot. This process requires me to go into Services(Local) and restart Windows Management Instrument. I don't mind doing this on each boot, but id like to get to the root of the problem to stop it happening altogether.

Any help would be grateful. (sorry for the essay)
    Ill provide any information that is required (if i know how to get it)

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
    279GB Maxtor 7V300F0 ATA Device (SATA)
    3.00GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 167MHz (2.5-3-5-7)

Many thanks
    Karl

jwoods
    This link from the Microsoft Performance Team explains some of the reasons...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/a...prvse-exe.aspx

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    This link from the Microsoft Performance Team explains some of the reasons...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/a...prvse-exe.aspx
    Thanks for the link, would this apply to me? as this is for high memory use, its not spiking my memory just my CPU. Many thanks

jwoods
    You might try this hotfix for high CPU usage..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2505348
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-03-20 at 15:40.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok thanks. I'll give it a shot.