Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Shockwave FlashPlayer crashes almost daily

Almost every day I get a popup box warning that "Shockwave FlashPlayer has stopped responding" and the computer freezes up. (I have the latest version of Shockwave FlashPlayer on a Dell Optiplex 780 desktop running Windows 7 Professional) Clicking "Continue script" seems to do nothing, because the same warning box keeps popping up a few minutes later, meanwhile my computer is frozen, so I eventually give up and click "Stop script" and that seems to solve it temporarily. The popup boxes seem to come on at random. What effect would uninstalling the Shockwave FlashPlayer program have? Would I still be able to play videos, YouTube, etc.? Can anyone help me prevent these annoying crashes?

Thanks
    The first thing to try is to update your graphics driver.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    The first thing to try is to update your graphics driver.
    I think all my drivers are up to date, but can you give me some step by step directions on how to update the graphics driver? Thanks.

Thanks
    The drivers are here

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...ex-780/drivers

Click on System Analysis and it will find the drivers you need to update. Download them and run the installers by double clicking on them in turn. I suspect that there may be several.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First try to disable gpu acceleration. Right-click within your flash player link and then click settings. After unchecking the gpu box, refresh your page and try playing the shockwave video or applet again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lylejk For This Useful Post:

Ray Harvey (2015-03-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    First try to disable gpu acceleration. Right-click within your flash player link and then click settings. After unchecking the gpu box, refresh your page and try playing the shockwave video or applet again.
    How do I get to the "flashplayer link" ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have to right click within a Flash or Shockwave display window itself, then click settings and a settings window will launch.

Untitled.png

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by isandman02 View Post
    I have the latest version of Shockwave FlashPlayer
    17.0.0.134?

Quote Originally Posted by isandman02 View Post
    What effect would uninstalling the Shockwave FlashPlayer program have? Would I still be able to play videos, YouTube, etc.?
    Most YouTube videos no longer use Flash (for IE11 or Chrome): YouTube says HTML5 video ready for primetime, makes it default
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-03-26 at 21:11.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    True Bruce, but many sites appear to still default using Flash and will give you the flash plugin missing if you don't have it. I suppose it's how the site links the video that comes from Youtube.

Still, folks can try to go to the site below and make sure the box is checked to see if it will force youtube videos anyway to use HTML5.

https://www.youtube.com/html5

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    True Bruce, but many sites appear to still default using Flash and will give you the flash plugin missing if you don't have it. I suppose it's how the site links the video that comes from Youtube.

Still, folks can try to go to the site below and make sure the box is checked to see if it will force youtube videos anyway to use HTML5.

https://www.youtube.com/html5
    Thank you for your help BruceR and lylejk. After reading some of the articles in the helpful links you provided about security vulnerabilities (and checking the HTML5 box for YouTube) I have decided to uninstall Flash entirely and see what happens. I searched for "uninstall FlashPlayer" and clicked the Adobe Help/Support page to download the Flash uninstaller. Guess what? The popup box informed me that " Shockwave Flash is not responding". On their own website! Oh well. Adobe sucks. Now I have to go and close my Firefox browser and run their uninstaller. Thanks again for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you used Adobe's test Shockwave site http://www.chemgapedia.de/vsengine/help/en/shockwave/ ?

Look out for the attempt to install Chrome as it will auto install Shockwave if it finds any problem with it.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-27 at 20:55.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you used Adobe's test Shockwave site http://www.chemgapedia.de/vsengine/help/en/shockwave/ ?

Look out for the attempt to install Chrome as it will auto install Shockwave if it finds any problem with it.
    That's not an Adobe site; this thread isn't about Shockwave Player; and I can't understand the Chrome comment.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If this isn't about Shockwave, then what is it about ?

I was going to suggest Adobe's test page but remembered there are others and didn't amend my post so as not to identify it as Adobe - sorry for that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Adobe bought out Macromedia in 2005, surely any Shockwave updates are now Adobe Shockwave ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast