Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: network newbie

Thanks

network newbie

I'm running three computers in a home office setting and want to network the three with the possibility of adding a fourth computer within a year's time and stand in need of the wisdom/experience of the Lounge. A dear seminary professor once said, "Ain't none of us as smart as all of us." So here goes...

Two desktop systems run Win98se and WinMe while the laptop runs Win2k. I have a hub, RJ45 cables/clips, and network cards for each system.

I have been advised to go Control Panel | Network | Identification and make sure each computer has a different name *but* the same workgroup name... under Configuration, I'm told, I should be set to 'Windows logon' and under 'File/Printer Sharing' I should have yes checked/ticked... Services and Protocols should include MS NETBEUI along with Client for MS Networks.

First, is there something I've overlooked?

Second, will the laptop be able to access the CDRW that is installed in one of the desktops? I presume there's a way to 'share' that, too?

Third, any additional advice/suggestions/ warnings will be greatly appreciated!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: network newbie

A few tips:

1. Make sure that the workgroup name is EXACTLY the same on each machine.

2. Each directory or disk must be shared. If you are using a home office network then security between users is probably not a consideration - so, from Windows Explorer right click on the root directory of each disk and click on the "sharing" tab. Click "Shared As" and then give the disk a name. Give full access and don't worry about using a password.

3. I have no experience with CDRW but I'd guess that it is shared in the same way.

If one of the machines on the network is also connected to the Internet then there are security concerns that you should be aware of. Let's know if that is the case and we can take it further.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips, John... all three (eventually four) machines will have an Internet connection and, yes, I would appreciate knowing how to go about setting up a shared connection, particularly with the security concerns.

Thanks [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ileacy

The CDRW may be shareable in read mode. It will not be shareable in write mode. Data being written to the CD must be on the local harddrive or you will end up with a coaster.

ileacy

I strongly recommend using a network router, particularly if you are using a DSL/Cable connection. I have used and like the LinkSys products.

I have heard that some providers are now checking the MAC on the device connected to the DSL/Cable modem and preventing connections if the manufacturer id indicates a router. This needs to be checked before you actually purchase the device.

Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure file and printer sharing is not enabled for the adapters on each computer that are accessing the Internet. An excellent resource for this is www.grc.com which will also test your Internet connection for basic security holes.

ileacy

No problem. I am dual firewalled. NAT on the router. Zone Alarm on the station.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firstly, I suggest that you go to Steve Gibson's Shields Up! site which will do two things. It will test the resistance of your set up to intrusion and provide a report. The site also provides detailed advice on how to increase the resilience of your setup against hacking.

Secondly, install a firewall which will give you control over what comes in from the Internet and what goes out. One popular firewall is Zonealarm which is relatively easy to cofigure. It is also free for personal use.

Thirdly, I presume that you already have a virus scanner installed but if not, do it NOW. Update the virus definition files at least once a week to keep the latest nasties out.

Thanks

Well, at least now I won't try that stunt!
    I presume, then, I can transfer data from the laptop to the desktop HDD then to the CDRW?

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks

Thanks for the insight on that one... right now I'm stuck with an analog line but have aspirations to move to an ISDN within a year's time.

All of the computers are PC, FWIW

Thanks

Wow, you got me on that one... if all of the computers can access the Internet, then does that mean there should be no file/printer sharing at all, or am I overlooking the trees for the forest?

Thanks for your help... I'll check http://www.grc.com to see what's there.

Thanks

Three good suggestions well heeded... sure do appreciate your insight! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ileacy

Actual requirement is that file or print sharing must not be bound to the network adapter which provides the Internet Service. In your case, this would be your dial up adapter.

ileacy

Correct

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Glad to help. Let's know how it turns out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast