New Lounger
    Thanks

Restart to repair drive errors

I am running win 8.1 Pro 64 bit with all of the latest updates.

I occasionally get a popup that tells me to restart to repair drive errors. When I click to restart the PC it runs check disk and gets to about 30% complete and than jumps to 100% and reboots and runs check disk again with the same results. if I catch it at the right time and hit any key to bypass check disk it loads and runs normally.

I have a Kingston 120GB SSD hard drive and they replaced it for me. The new drive has the same problem. I made a drive image and installed my system on a Silicone Dust 120GB SSD while I was waiting for the drive from Kingston. The Silicon Dust gave the same errors. I imaged a 500GB Seagate SATA drive and have the same problem. If I take one of the drives from my 8.1 computer and install it in my win 7 computer as second drive, win 7 sees a drive error and runs Check Disk and fixes it. I put the drive back into the win 8.1 system and it boots up okay but when I shut it off and turn it on the reboot problem is there.

Another symptom of this problem is that my win 8.1 system always reboots once every time I turn it on. When win 8 Pro first came out I bought 3 and added Windows Media Center to all 3. I installed one of my other win 8s on another computer and did all of the updates on it. It also reboots one time every time I turn it on. It also goes in to the check disk loop if I run check disk on it.

I made a Recovery CD on both systems. I get an error on both systems if I try to refresh the operating system from the CD. On my second system I used the CD to reinstall win 8 and that worked okay. It restored it to 8.1. After doing all of the updates it still has the problem of rebooting once every time I turn it on. But I was able to run Check Disk to completion and that has solved the problem.

When I have searched on the internet I find that a lot of people have this same problem but I have not found an answer to the problem. Is there anyone that has a fix.

Ivan

Thanks
    The problem appears to be with the OS, not the drive. If you make an image of the OS, you're simply transferring the problem to the new drive. Try running the System File Checker. Open a Command Prompt as Administrator and type sfc /scannow. (Be sure to include the space) and press Enter.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may also have a problem with the drive controller or cable, or even the power supply. Try the SATA cable in a different motherboard port.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Calimanco for your reply, sfc ran with no errors.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul, Thanks for your reply, I did reimage my second SSD drive and connected it to a different port with the original drive disconnected. I changed the BIOS and booted from the second SSD drive. Same problems

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think what is happening when win 8.1 reboots is that the previous shutdown was bad. This causes an error and the system reboots with the last know good data. Something is messing up the shutdown. I have scanned with Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, ESET's Online Scanner, Microsoft's Safety Scanner, and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy IK View Post
    ...Something is messing up the shutdown...
    I had a similar problem a few months ago when I was dual-booting between Win7 and Win10TP. Turning off "Fast Startup" in Win10TP fixed the problem.

See this eightforums article: How to Turn Fast Startup On or Off for a Hybrid Boot in Windows 8 and 8.1
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin, I turned off fast start and that corrected the turn on problem. I will now have to see if I can run Check Disk.