New Lounger
    Thanks

How to make Skype work on my system?

I was struck by this week's comment that updates can cause problems. I have used Skype for several years without any problems. My Skype was connected through a Telbox to my cordless home phone system. Version 7 of Skype completely refused to work with this set-up. Consequently I have cancelled my subscription and uninstalled Skype.
    I would like Skype back, but only if it works with my Telbox.
    Are there any suggestions?
    Is there an alternate program that will work with a Telbox?

Thanks
    If you know what version of Skype did work for you before v7 then you can download it from oldversion.com.

As soon as you install it, log in then go to the Options screen and disable Automatic Updates.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-19 at 21:29.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    If you know what version of Skype did work for you before v7 then you can download it from oldversion.com.

As soon as you install it, log in then go to the Options screen and disable Automatic Updates.

Hope this helps...
    Thanks Rick,
    I tried oldversion but all the Skype files have a size of 0.00 bytes. I did find it elsewhere and then I had to find Skypemate as well. It is now all working again but I find it strange that MS would effectively disable thousands of Telboxes and USB phones for the sake of doing things the MS way. There is quite a bit of commentary about this problem here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Window...e/td-p/2048955

New Lounger
    Thanks
    anyone surprised?? Not here.
    watch for MS have their very own Skype version....working without flaws soon...packaged with "whatever".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I recently got an out of cycle WU for Skype v7.0 along with the ease of upgrade WU.

I don't use Skype but I installed it anyway.

If it's offered again in WUs then just right click on it and select Hide.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I recently got an out of cycle WU for Skype v7.0 along with the ease of upgrade WU.

I don't use Skype but I installed it anyway.

If it's offered again in WUs then just right click on it and select Hide.
    I noticed it on optional WUs today but hid it since I don't plan on "Skypeing"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hhbkiddo View Post
    anyone surprised?? Not here.
    watch for MS have their very own Skype version....working without flaws soon...packaged with "whatever".
    I hope it will work with my Telbox.

Thanks
    FYI M$ bought out Skype a couple of years ago.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone with an Outlook.com account (or Hotmail or MSN Mail or, well, you get the picture ...) will find that Skype is now a feature of their Outlook/Hotmail email inbox webpage. It's the little rectangular smiley face icon on the top right area near your name. When you click the face icon a menu opens with all your Skype contacts. If you've never used it before it may download a "plug-in" to enable Skype. We've used it a number of times to video chat with friends and it works fine. Haven't used it lately but i'm guessing it still works as advertised. Of course, this version is only active when you have the Outlook/Hotmail page open, whereas, the full Skype app can run all the time without Outlook/Hotmail being open.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know of a version of Skype that will work with XP now that MS has taken over?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ke5yd View Post
    Does anyone know of a version of Skype that will work with XP now that MS has taken over?
    Check it out here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...ents-for-skype

12. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

ke5yd (2015-04-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I'll give it a try?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Freetalk adapter, US$39.99 last time I check: http://freetalk.me/
    Skype claims no longer update its support for it but it always work, up to current version of Skype.
    It has one Ethernet port to your router, then a phone port to your phone or to whole house phone line (only one phone port).

[Warning: Disconnect your landline phone service at the entrance box or switch box to the whole house phone line distribution. Its high voltage ring signal could damage the Adapter (protected but could).
    If the Adapter connects directly to a *phone only*, no need to disconnect landline service to the whole house phone wire.]

When a Skype to Skype calls, you can answer by optionally picking up the phone, and not using the PC! When a landline phone calls, the adapter auto routes to the same phone for ring and pick up! You can, in fact, make Skype to Skype call by the phone too. No more 24/7 power on the PC.

When making a phone call, the default is normal phone system. To force a Skype call, punch "#" first. Please read the manual for details.

My experience (over 5 years):
    1. Assign a fixed network address (e.g. 192.168.1.234), or reserve a DHCP address. It is much easier to manage and it functions more reliably. Setup is through browser.
    2. Set your phone recording machine to 6 rings if you activate auto phone transfers (to your cell phone, for example).
    3. If the Adapter hangs, your phone is off Skype AND also landline. Both! You need to unplug/replug to effect a power-up reboot.
    Use a timer to turn off/on to effect a reboot, once a week. I use a low cost digital 24-hr timer to turn off for 10 minutes then on again, at wee hour. This effects a reboot. Mechanical timer will work but the off time maybe as long as 1/2 to 1 hr.
    4. I find the Adapter warm and minor-sensitive to heat.
    Keep the thick side in the up/top position would help. The thick side is a clever 5V AC power adapter (equivalent to cell phone 5V charger). The supply snaps to the plastic to form as if one integrated box. If the supply fails, replace with a USB charger will do! (Mine is still working.)
    5. I hate maintenance and prefer plug-n-forget. If you're technically handy, do this:
    a. Snap out the 5V supply. Unscrew and disassemble the box.
    b. Drill small holes on the sides, on top and bottom locales; vertical point of view (for air exchange).
    c. Option: Stick a thick copper/Al piece as heat sink on the big chip. Use thermal glue or tape. Surely a real heatsink is better. A metal piece will do though.
    6. When re-assemble, wipe a thin layer of grease/oil on the 5V supply contacts (take care not to smear onto plastic). Then snap in the 5V supply. The grease helps prevent contact oxidation. Grease/oil adheres to metal, sealing off air. When snapped in, the pressure/force breaks through and make metal-metal contact. Not all oil can be used. Some attack plastic. Best is Teflon grease. Or avoid grease/oil contacting plastic.
    7. I use a wireless phone. The phone main station connects to the Adapter. The 4 satellite phones can be anywhere within wireless range.
    8. With the Adapter, Skype now shows you're on Skype 24/7. As such, you maybe exposed to Skype based spam calls. Set Skype privacy options to only receive calls from your Skype list.
    Last edited by scaisson; 2015-04-09 at 20:12.