2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memory sticks not recognized

I have slipstreamed two disks of WinXP SP3. Disk #1 has all post EOS updates. Disk #2 has just post EOS critical updates plus .net framework. I have installed both onto a virtual machine (Virtualbox) to check them out. Both installs went just fine. A problem has come up with installation #2 regarding failure to recognize certain memory sticks. I have set identical usb filters in both installations for two Sandisk memory sticks, one PNY memory stick, two external hard disks, and a printer. Installation #1 recognizes all of them as soon as they are plugged in. Installation #2 recognizes all except the two Sandisk sticks. However, if either one is in place when XP starts up, it is recognized and can be read normally. If I remove it (using safe removal) and then put it back in, it is no longer recognized. There are two places in Virtualbox that indicate that the stick is in the usb port. And, both sticks can be read by the host machine (without Virtualbox running).

It doesn't make sense to me that this would have anything to do with having critical updates only but this is the only thing that I know of that is different. I hope someone has an idea.
    Last edited by Yobil; 2015-03-19 at 23:04.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It may be an issue with VirtualBox rather than Windows. If you have another machine or disk you could check using them.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what to check. As I said, there are two virtual machines running in Virtualbox on the same host with the two versions of XP. One has the problem. The other doesn't. I didn't mention another desktop machine also running XP that does not have the problem. But, it was not loaded from a slipstreamed disk, assuming that is pertinent. I suppose I could re-install virtual machine #2 to see if that does anything positive. My gut tells me that that is not the problem. There seems to be something peculiar about those two specific memory sticks because the other usb devices including the pny stick work OK.

Thanks
    For USB issues I use 2 portable tools:

1. Microsoft USB View for checking the actual host controllers and hubs.

USB View.png
    Click to enlarge

2. Nir Sofer's USBDeview for checking, enabling and/or un-installing USB devices themselves.

USBDeview.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded and ran USBDeview. After inserting the 4gb usb stick it says that it is connected, not disabled, and is assigned drive F. It also says that the 16gb stick is connected and not disabled but it is not assigned a drive letter. Neither appear in "my computer". With the sticks inserted during bootup (not at the same time), the 4gb is assigned drive F and the 16gb is assigned drive E. Both appear in "my computer" and are accessible. I'm not sure what other information provided by USBDview is pertinent to this problem.

Thanks
    This suggests that the 16Gb stick was manually assigned a drive letter that is no longer available as it's been automatically assigned by the OS to another hardware device. In this case, use Disk Management to assign a different drive letter further up the alphabet.

Hope this helps...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand. However, remember that this only occurs if the sticks are inserted prior to bootup. Neither stick is recognized or assigned a drive letter if inserted after boot up even though USBDeview shows them as connected. Also, with VM #1 there is no problem at all. There each one is usually assigned drive H.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobil View Post
    My gut tells me that that is not the problem.
    Which is why I suggested loading Windows from the disks onto a different machine. This will test your gut feeling.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing I have readily available is the virtual drive. While I have another desktop, I don't want to remove what is there now to test this. I'll do another virtual drive installation to start with and see what happens. I'm also thinking about moving the data off of the two memory sticks and formatting them to see if that does anything positive.

Thanks
    Does this Windows 7 Does not assign a Drive Letter thread help? (Yes, I realize it's for Win 7...)

Or this Flash memory drives are not given a drive letter in Windows Explorer (Microsoft Windows XP) post?

Personally, I would use USBDeview to uninstall the previous registry entries for the offending USB sticks. To do this, make sure the USB sticks are not connected then run USBDeview. Select all entries for the problematic USB sticks and uninstall them.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-21 at 14:26.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just completed a fresh install of disk #2 and all my usb devices are functioning normally in it. However, just for grins, I'm going to follow your advice to remove the entries and see what it does. I'll let you know.

I skimmed through the two links and it looks like there could be some relevant information there. I haven't tested them because the fresh install is working. But, I did keep the articles just in case. Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update:
    As you instructed, I uninstalled the two problematic sticks and then re-inserted them one at a time. The first one (4gb) was found and assigned a drive letter without a problem. The second (16gb) was found by windows but it would not show up in "my computer". However, I noted that it had been assigned a letter according to USBDview. As it turns out, as you suggested above, Windows was assigning it a letter that was already used by one of the shared virtual hard drives. Using Windows Disk Management, I manually assigned it a different letter and all is well. According to one of your links, that drive letter should be used from now on. I don't know what caused the problem in only this particular installation but, at least, it is working now.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Yobil; 2015-03-21 at 17:14.

Thanks
    In my experience Windows writes the information (about a manually-assigned drive letter corresponding to a particular USB stick) to the Windows registry then becomes confused when a newly inserted USB device takes the same drive letter if the original USB stick is not present.

The only way I know of easily sorting out this anomaly (without trawling through the registry) is to use Nir Sofer's USBDeview.

Glad to help and thanks for reporting back.