New Lounger
    Thanks

disk drive will sometimes not autostart

My desktop computer with Windows 7 Professional is a few months old. The disk drive is an HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 /SATA manufactured by LG. My video software is VideoLAN VLC, Corel WinDVD 11 and Windows Media Player.

Recently I have been editing and burning a few dozen DVD videos using Corel Video Studio Pro X7. After each video is burned, I test it to make sure everything is OK. Often, it will not start, either by menu or auto. If I click on Video_ts.ifo it plays OK. If I insert it into my Windows XP Home machine, sitting nearby, it autorun plays fine. Sometimes, after going about other activity, it will then play OK in Windows Pro. I can't say what activities take place that make it play OK, although rebooting the computer will then make them play, although I don't know for how many trials they will continue to do so.

When the disk does not play, the LG lights will flash, followed by computer activity, followed by more LG light flashing as though play will be normal, but nothing happens on the screen.

I have talked with LG tech support, and they feel as though the problem resides in the computer.

I would appreciate your assistance.

jwoods
    Check in Control Panel > Default Programs and see what the default program is for DVD's.

While you're in Default Programs, check your Auto Play settings as well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Check in Control Panel > Default Programs and see what the default program is for DVD's.

While you're in Default Programs, check your Auto Play settings as well.

VLC was set as the default player before, but others were set as well and that didn't seem to make any difference. The "Use Autoplay for all media and devices" box is checked.

jwoods
    You might take a look at the available Fix its on the Microsoft Fixit Solution Center...

http://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You might take a look at the available Fix its on the Microsoft Fixit Solution Center...

http://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/

Thanks for the reply. Couldn't find anything there.

jwoods
    I would try uninstalling the DVD drive in Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows re-detect it and re-install the drivers.

If that doesn't work, you might check to see if there are updated drivers for the drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would try uninstalling the DVD drive in Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows re-detect it and re-install the drivers.

If that doesn't work, you might check to see if there are updated drivers for the drive.
    LG says there are no updated drivers for the device. They also say that if it's anything to do with autoplay it isn't the drive that's at fault.

I wonder if codecs could be responsible? My windows xp machine is loaded with them, but I haven't put any in the Windows 7 machine. Although VLC is pretty good.

That's a good idea about reloading the device. I would have assumed that happened a few months ago when the machine was new, but who knows?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MS has a couple of articles on ODD problems which may help, but intermittent problems can be difficult.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...drive_problems

Have you tried making WMP the default to see if you get the same problem ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdculp View Post
    ...I wonder if codecs could be responsible? My windows xp machine is loaded with them, but I haven't put any in the Windows 7 machine...
    I have had best success with the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack (but watch out for any unwanted "extras" if you decide to install it).

It includes "Media Player Classic Home Cinema" which I have found best by far for playing DVD movies and video files.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I reset all the playing features, checked the drivers and performed a sfc. The drive is new and compatible. Found nothing. The problem seems to occur after some undetermined number of burns is performed. If the computer is rebooted, you can play as many DVD's as you want with no problems. I even burned one DVD with Corel Video Studio Pro X7 and experienced no problem. After the problem has occurred, disk and computer activity seems normal except that no video appears on the screen. I've tried to find what combination of activity causes the problem to appear to no avail. It almost seems to be related to Video Studio Pro, but I can't see how.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you suspect a buggy program, a reinstall of it can often resolve.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problems:
    1. firmware update --- none available

2. Bad drive.

3. Bad disk batch or incompatible (firmware usually corrects so if proven must report to LG along with proof). DVD-R are best for video, but it doesn't matter that much anymore. Paying more for disks is usually a better deal. It might help to determine the mfg. and get a different batch from a different supplier. I believe your package includes a DVD Info app. It may have a test disk/test drive/test speed of burn app.

4. Burning them at too high a rate even if they are rated for that speed.

5. Possible updating the SATA driver will help--doubt it, especially since the PC is only a few months old--but it is involved. Also could be a cache error/size problem--again doubt it because these apps do a really good job now along with the drive algorithm.