Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network problems in Japan

I'm staying with my son in Japan at the moment, and am having an odd network issue.

I've brought my Windows 7 laptop with me. It works fine at home in the UK and has been fine at public wifi sites on the way here eg at airports.

With my son's home wifi though I am experiencing problems - I had just the same before on an earlier visit, that time with an XP machine so I suppose it is his internet connection. Anyway, here is the description:

I can connect fine to the wifi router - it shows up at 54 MBPS, and uses WEP security.

Some websites, including secure websites, load just fine albeit a little slowly. Facebook is one example, this site another, and Dropbox is working OK.

Other sites are either painfully slow or won't load at all - both my email sites (Hotmail and Network Solutions) come in that category. Mostly they either die (Chrome reports that the page is not available) or they time out during, say, the login process.

It is the difference between the tow categories of website that confuses me - I can see no rhyme or reason to it

I'd appreciate amny guidance as to where I might start in order to resolve this - although it is a holiday, I have some work to do and currently am having to make a long trip to the nearest Starbucks to use their free wifi !

Things I've tried, which made no difference:

1. Turning off Chrome extensions such as AdBlocker
    2. Turning off the Windows Firewall

I have not risked turning off the anti-Virus program - Avira, but will give that a go later.

When the connection first came up I did opt for a Home Network, whereas in Airports I have opted for Public Network. I would change this to see if it made a difference if only I knew how in Windows 7 !

Thanks

Thanks
    If he uses WEP encryption for the security, that may indicate that he has an old router, because WEP is an old and not very secure form of encryption.

The first thing I would do would be to change his encryption to WPA2, the newest type of encryption. I would also change the admin password on the router.

Here is my thought process:

* If WEP is all that is available on his router, then it is indeed an old and insecure router. I would recommend buying a new one in that case.
    * If WPA2 is available on the router, and if you change to WPA2 and change the admin password, you will make his router more secure. It's just possible that a neighbor is logged into his router; and by making the router more secure, you might block the neighbor from logging into his router, and therefore block whatever the neighbor might be doing to slow down the connection -- downloading movies, video streaming, etc.

The above may not fix the speed problem; but you should do these steps regardless.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll have a go at changing the encryption but I don't want to screw up his access.

It may be a DNS issue - if I try and ping the difficult sites the ping times out, and the times for the likes of Facebook are around 30ms which is OK

On an older PC I once changed the DNS lookup to Google but I can't remember how I did that and what the new settings were !

Thanks
    How to set up Google DNS in Windows 7:
    https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.p...yarticle&id=86

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are two types of WEP - one is the security setting in the router and the other is the WEP key.

The latter can be referred to as what is on the router to connect to the SSID - which are you referring to ?

Given that Google's DNS is US based, that could increase the Latency.

You could check this by opening a command prompt and enter ping 8.8.8.8 and see if that is comparable with the 30ms you are getting for FB.

If you do change to Google, although Open DNS is an alternative which is 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220 (which you can also ping) - run a command prompt as an administrator and enter -

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Something else that can help with slow connecting to websites is to add the command netsh winsock reset catalog and in IE click on the Tools cog - Internet options and under the Content tab click on Clear SSL state.

While you are in there, under the Advanced tab scroll down to Security, uncheck SSL 2.0 and 3.0 and ensure TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 boxes are checked.

You are probably better leaving it at Public Network but to change this, right click on the WiFi icon in the Taskbar and click on Open Network and Sharing Center then click on where it says Public Network and then you'll get the options to change.

My laptop stays at home and I have my mine set to Public Network which is the most secure.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about the slow reply - I had to wait until I could get to Starbucks again !

I'm not really concerned about the security - PC to Router connection is fine and the speed is good once a site is found for instance playing a clip.

It does seem to be a DNS issue (I think) - I cannot ping the "slow" sites at all, they time out.

Ping 8.8.8.8 gives 23ms which is good so I think I will go ahead and try Google DNS.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ping is not a DNS test. Ping is a round trip test that may or may not work depending on the destination configuration - you can turn ping response off on your web site.
    To test DNS you can use ping to obtain the IP address, e.g. ping www.windowssecrets.com -n 1
    The response should be: Pinging windowssecrets.com [69.167.156.32] with 32 bytes of data

If a site times out it may be a site issue, a network issue, a bandwidth issue or a local router issue. To prove that the site is up you could go to www.nwtools.com and use the HTTP Headers test.

There is only one WEP and it is broken. Do not use it. Only use WPA2.

I would also consider a new router.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some sites don't allow you to ping them to prevent a Denial of Service attack but if you ping www.google.com and you start getting Time Out errors then it is a DNS problem and changing from the default auto to public DNS servers usually resolves - but my other suggestions can also help with slow connecting to some sites.

Where you have problems connecting to secure sites, putting those into Trusted Sites can help with that, but I certainly wouldn't put FB in there.

It could just as easily be IE's add-ons so resetting IE to defaults is something else to consider.

My reference to the WEP key (which it can still be referred to as) is the difference between having a secure broadband connection or if it is open for others to leach off, which mrjimhelps has raised the possibility of.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-21 at 05:44.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    you start getting Time Out errors then it is a DNS problem
    Ping time out has nothing to do with DNS. If the IP address is returned DNS is OK. If the ping times out it is something else.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Ping time out has nothing to do with DNS. If the IP address is returned DNS is OK. If the ping times out it is something else.

cheers, Paul
    If you ping the Domain name and you get a Time out then it can be a DNS issue and Martin has said that he cannot ping the slow sites.

@ MartinM - if you enter the command tracert for each of the slow sites, if changing to Google DNS servers hasn't resolved, you will see where they are getting bottlenecked from the ping times for each step and how many steps it takes for each site.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-21 at 19:26.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can break WEP in under 45 seconds with a pretty mediocre laptop. I just cannot fathom his son (or anyone) using it.

Nor can I fathom anyone figuring it is okay I have nothing to lose. If you are employed, have clients or loved ones you email and I am a malicious SOB you have plenty to lose or at least explain. Or maybe you can explain it to the FBI or Secret Service if they are interested in listening. Your cellmate will listen.

https://community.newegg.com/eggxper...9/t/99093.aspx

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That said I recall that WEP has a choice of four entries in which you must enter the correct entry path for lack of a better description. If your son does not not know which one he chose enter his hexdex (0-9A-F) password (use caps) one at a time until you hit the right one.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-21 at 18:50.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think that the encryption has anything to do with this - the connection to the Router is fine, and I don#t particuarly want to mess with his local config - it works for him and is important to him.

I changed the DNS resolver to Google and that made things worse !

TRACERT is instructive: for instance www.hotmail.com - the local steps (Japan ISP etc are all pretty quick, say 2ms) but then when I get into the MSN network there are 5 steps which take ages - some take 140ms, others timed out up to 6 times.

www.networksolutionsemail.com also gets slower and slower the further it gets, with 205ms for the final (18th) hop.

I can't work out what can be causing this snail-like progress - as I noted earlier, my son's W7 PC works fine and mine is fine using public wifi. It seems like a combination of my PC and his connection - any ideas most welcome.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Is it different if connected by ethernet cable to the router or after power-cycling the router?

PS- As others have suggested, WEP is not good in this day and age.

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have changed to WPA2, power cycled the router (for 60 seconds) and tried an Ethernet connection. No difference.

Meantime I have found a closer cafe with free wifi where everything works as it should.

I am intensely curious why some websites run like greased lightning and others are so slow that they timeout almost all the time. If I do manage to connect, the next thing I click on times out anyway. Of course none of the ones I really need work - just some social media and other trivial stuff !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast