New Lounger
    Thanks

Do all routers do wireless?

I am renting a condo in Florida in April and when I asked the landlord about the internet connection she said they have a wire going from their computer to the router. So, I'm sure she meant an ethernet cable and she definitely said they do not use any wireless devices. The router is a Westell 6100 and service provider is Verizon I believe.
    I will use a laptop with Windows 8.1 and my wife will use and iPad Air. So do I assume that I can automatically get a wireless connection or do I have to contact Verizon in order to turn some feature on?
    I have a router that I used to use many years ago. It is a Netgear Wireless-G model WGR614. Can I just plug that in to where the Verizon router is and expect to get wireless internet connection?
    Obviously, I need a lot of guidance with this so any comment or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Jack

Thanks
    The Westell 6100 appears to be a modem/router without any wireless capability, i.e. a DSL modem and general purpose NAT router. You would need to connect an Ethernet cable from the Westell to a port on a wireless router in order to provide wireless capability.

I'm in the UK so can't give you exact details. Do a Google query for "travel router" to find out the names of local wireless routers that will plug into the Westell 6100 to provide the wireless capability you need.

(I use a "travel router" when I'm staying in hotels with ethernet-based internet access in order to provide my family with wireless internet.)

Alternatively, you could use your existing Netgear Wireless-G WGR614 router connected by an ethernet cable to the Westell 6100 in order to give you wireless capability... but I wouldn't advise it.

The reason I don't recommend re-using your existing Netgear Wireless-G WGR614 router and, instead, suggest a "travel router" is two-fold.

1. New "travel routers" tend to have/support faster networking capabilities.

2. New "travel routers" tend to have better security (your existing Netgear Wireless-G WGR614 router doesn't support WPA-2, only WEP and WPA, both compromised)

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-21 at 15:38.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article may help with that. http://vpncasestudy.com/download/use...cess_point.pdf

To find the details of the existing router, open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can use your wireless router connected to the Westell, but you need to set yours up as a Wireless Access Point. The article Sudo linked will show how.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank-you for your responses. I printed the article and will take it with me as I think I can do it and I can use a "travel router" solution will be my back-up. Thanks
    Jack

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Good luck with your move and don't forget to come back and let us know how you get on.

Tom.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Assuming he can "get on"!

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Assuming he can "get on"!

cheers, Paul
    Well, he'll still have wire if he needs to ask for any help

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've always had good results with travel routers, and prefer a relatively cheap (under $30 US on Amazon) that gives me multiple ways to access the internet. I can set it up as a router for either wired/wireless/4G LTE, as a wireless access point, or as a client. This is just ONE example, but there are similar choices from Zoom, Netgear, D-Link etc.
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-MR3.../dp/B00634PLTW This is NOT an endorsement, but just an example of what *I* use.