2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP HDX 16 HD Crash II

Hi To All,

Has been awhile but good to be back among the tech conscenti; my dilemma is I have an HP HDX 16, 64bit WIN 7 up to date, about five years old, the HD is about to or has died, intermittent operation, flashing yellow light on HD indicator. The system has twice unsuccessfully run the fix - it in DOS and the system/screen goes blank/black.

This will be the third HD.....it originally came with Vista then HP shipped WIN 7 one month later.....as part of the WIN 7 upgrade I made two Vista back up CD....can only locate on of the two.

Fortunately, I had some earlier indications of the HD dying so performed a full system back up several days before the end.....a bit na´ve, a full system back up w/system image does or does not include backing up the OS???? My guess is no.....

If not, what options do I have.....for $55 I can replace the HD with a better fast one......for now until I make the move to Mac Book. All suggestions welcomed! Thank you!!!

Regards,
    Mojave1
    Regards,
    Marty

"Aerodynamics Is For Those Who Cannot Build Engines" - Enzo Ferrari

Thanks
    This is a duplicate post of http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...sh-No-OS-disks
    There are a couple of responses to the other post.
    Not sure but I think they frown on dual posting here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mojave1 View Post
    ....I have an HP HDX 16, 64bit WIN 7 ... the HD is about to or has died.... originally came with Vista then ...part of the WIN 7 upgrade ....

Fortunately, I had some earlier indications of the HD dying so performed a full system back up several days before the end.....a bit na´ve, a full system back up w/system image does or does not include backing up the OS???? My guess is no.....

If not, what options do I have.....for $55 I can replace the HD with a better fast one....
    A few. First I have no idea what a full system backup is (within Win7 I assume). One would assume it can restore a new HDD to bootable form with everything that was present at backup time.

Second option is prep the new drive and then clean install Win7 using the license key (if you can still read it) found on the laptop case. It should work for Win7 IF you have a disk (borrow it if needed; retail, Upgrade or OEM System Builder not OEM company like HP) that is the same bit and model (Home Premium?) as the license covered. Then reinstall apps and transfer files over from the backup drive.

3rd option: Linux.

4th option: See if Vista recovery disk is still available through HP. Possible but not likely.

5th option: Download and run Win10. It is beta but pretty stable. Your laptop ought to run it fine. It will expire in April 15 last I looked. I do not know how long you can keep using it after that or MS will supply updates for it. You cannot migrate to a Win10 license after that---a clean install will be required. But since you are going to a Mac not an issue.

Unfortunately the Win7 disks are no longer available from HP.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...c01744960#AbT4

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...ment/bph07143/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    ....I think they frown on dual posting here.
    Here and everywhere else for good reason!!!!