Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update KB3000850 Fails to Install

Can someone please help me with a Windows Update item that will not install?

Windows Update keeps telling me that KB3000850 is an important update which is waiting to be installed. Initially, in November 2014 I think, it was noted as optional, but is now shown as important. I've tried to install this on at least 4 separate occasions over a number of days. Each time it fails to install after a few minutes. Other updates all install normally.

I've tried Googling this for any helpful information, but can't get anything that is (1) helpful, and (2) understandable to me (I'm no geek!). The only helpful thing I read was something by Woody Leonhard, on askwoody.com, dated December 2014, which said not to install it just then, but Iíve seen nothing later than that. Apart from this, anything else Iíve read just leaves me in total confusion! My questions are;

1) is KB3000850 an item that I must install?
    2) if so, how do I get it to install?

Iím running Windows 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron 64 bit laptop. I keep Windows and my programs updated, and use Avast Free as my main anti-malware program, plus Malwarebytes for on demand scans.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You've posted in the wrong section, should be in the Windows 8 section further up the list.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Really need a bit more info as to how it fails to install.

Does it fail to install on the reboot or do you get an error message to tell you it has failed and with an error code and did it come with March's updates, but hopefully this MS article should be of help. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...#prerequisites

But - having read this article and that you have Avast, it may be prudent not to install it should it have been modified that Avast's fix won't work. http://www.infoworld.com/article/289...nce-again.html

From other Google links, without Avast this update should install but they may not mix together very well.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-22 at 05:28.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

AussieMike (2015-03-22)

Thanks
    Read Woody's take on the issue:
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/289...nce-again.html

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

AussieMike (2015-03-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't you read anything Jerry - that's the same link that I've posted

Thanks
    When you browse every post in the Lounge, sometimes you miss something's. No, I don't read every link. Mea Culpa.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your responses. In order to check for an error message I clicked to install the update again (making it the 6th attempt over a number of weeks). Guess what? Yes... it installed! So far there have been no adverse effects.

Anyway, many thanks for your responses. My apologies for the trouble. Next time I have a problem I'll just report it here and you guys will fix it by remote control! (Wouldn't that be nice?! Well, we live in hopes!)

Thankyou

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps it was Avast playing up other times around and its subsequent Definition updates since may have quietened it down, but glad you were able to get it installed.