Thanks

Moving files causes confirmation

Every time I go to move a file, say, from the desktop to a folder, I get a confirmation dialog. Where / how can I turn off that confirm?

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Every time I go to move a file, say, from the desktop to a folder, I get a confirmation dialog. Where / how can I turn off that confirm?

Regards,
    Chuck
    Chuck,

I cannot replicate what you describe. Is this something that you were not seeing until recently? You seeing this via menu functions? What if via Drag-n-Drop?

It's not any kind of normal I know. So hard to tell you how to disable it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42227

Thanks
    How are you moving the file? Right click drag and drop, left click drag and drop, cut and paste? What exactly is the confirmation message?

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry, I'll have to keep an eye out. When it does happen, the message often will be below other windows, so I don't always see it right off.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Jerry, I just got it again. I was moving an icon/shortcut from the desktop to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Apps" when I got the message

"You'll need to provide Administrator permission to move this folder."

It wasn't a folder, but an icon, and I have Admin rights. And I get the same message even with UAC off. And I get it right or left clicking to move.

Chuck

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Chuck,

The message is misleading. I am suggesting, in the example you cite, it is a matter of logistics. Aside from the fact that when I follow the path you give (on mine) there is no Apps folder. I suggest you are trying to put something somewhere it doesn't belong, rights be damned it won't go from there to there. May I suggest, instead, since I think I see what you want. maybe... Rt Clk the shortcut icon in question & select Pin to Start. Pretty sure that is how you'll get what you seeking. Or I'm way off track, 1 or the other, LOL

I trust you notice I have, also, been trying to help you. Jerry, also, tries to offer good info & aide. And others, too... trust can together end w/ you having things sorted. That's the goal, anyway.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42248
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-03-22 at 21:43.

Thanks
    Drew, the path in question is valid. And, if I give the approval, the move is (always) successful. It is just seemingly some issue with rights and authorities for the operation.

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    ...It is just seemingly some issue with rights and authorities for the operation...
    It is Windows checking to make sure you really meant to move the item. Otherwise it would be too easy to move something by mistake without realizing it.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I'm missing something here. Why move icons from the desktop into ProgramData ... Programs? I'd like to learn what and why - to add to my knowledge base
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Well, Roland, that was my problem, too. Said all I did, partially, cus trying to work on what didn't make sense @ the onset. Must be some reason we aren't seeing, I guess.

But, if it was just the normal request for elevated privileges then, again, missing the issue.

No worries, seems there's a misunderstanding somewhere.

Anyway, onward & upwards or some direction, @ least...

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42250

Thanks
    It's a permissions issue. You are trying to move a file into a folder that is owned by the system and it is not allowed even to users with Administrative rights. If you right click on the destination folder, select properties, and then the Security tab, you will find you don't have write privledges and the folder is probably owned by System. Ther are ways around this but it's not a good idea unless you really know what you are doing.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I see I wasn't the only one wondering "How?" Which method is being used to Move...

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42252

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry... which, also, gibes w/ a couple of us saying it doesn't want that to be going from that location to that location... same as it didn't quite make sense to myself or Roland. It's not supposed to be done, it's a strange enough move that the computer is trying to get an explanation & until then is saying no you can't do that and I won't let you; no matter who you are, Admin or not.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42253

Thanks
    Ah...thanks Jerry. It's just surprising that this seems to be a new issue...sigh...

Chuck