Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

No USB on my computer

USB got whacked on my computer.

This is the 2nd time that something like this has happened to me. Both times it was on older computers, and both times it involved 32-bit Windows. (Not sure if either of those is significant, but I thought I'd mention it.) This time it was Windows 8; last time it was Windows 7.

Yesterday I noticed that I couldn't get on line. When I began to investigate, I found that no USB devices were working on my computer, including my wifi adapter, my mouse, and my flash drive. (My keyboard is PS/2, and it worked.)

I rebooted, but that didn't fix it. I then used a PS/2 to USB adapter to plug my mouse into the PS/2 port, and I ran an ethernet cable from my router to my computer. The mouse now worked, and I could now get on line.

I went into Device Manager and uninstalled something called "PCL to USB Host Controller", or something like that. Windows then reinstalled something pertaining to USB.

Once the reinstall was complete, all USB devices worked.

If there is a moral to this story, I would say that it is good to have PS/2 ports on the computer, and it is good to have PS/2 to USB adapters handy for your mouse and your keyboard. Being able to use the keyboard and mouse in PS/2 mode allowed me to very easily fix the problem. Without PS/2, I would have been dead in the water. My only resort would have been to restore the latest backup.

Thanks
    A Last Known Good or a System Restore via the diagnostic boot menu may also have resolved your issue.

Jerry

Thanks
    Something which bugs me these days is that you can't get a computer with PS/2 ports on it. PS/2 ALWAYS works, whereas USB is occasionally flaky.

Reminds me a bit of the space shuttle astronauts who do space walks without safety cords. In all likelihood, their jet packs will work just fine, and they will never have a problem. But that rare occasion could occur when the jet pack doesn't work, and they start moving away from the space shuttle. It would have been no problem to connect the safety cord, even though it isn't the "modern" way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    ...PS/2 ALWAYS works, whereas USB is occasionally flaky...
    More and more computers don't have PS2, only USB for peripherals.

I have seen a few computers with dead PS2 mouse port, usually caused by the customer plugging/unplugging a mouse when the system is powered-on.

A fairly common problem with USB is that if a USB device fails to install properly and is then disconnected other USB devices might fail to connect, or otherwise malfunction.

To correct this problem run the following commands in an elevated command prompt (Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools, right-click "Command Prompt" then click "Run as Administrator"):

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    (enter)

START DEVMGMT.MSC
    (enter)

A "Device Manager" window will open, click "Show Hidden Devices" in the View menu.

You can now uninstall any invalid/disconnected devices.

WARNING: exercise caution, particularly with removal of sound, network, and non-plug'n'play devices; devices in these categories might be shown dimmed as if not present but are nevertheless needed for the parent device to function correctly.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

Before you get all over Coochin about not having a mouse (oh yea non-mouse challenged) here's how to do it w/o a mouse:

1. Press: Windows Key
    2. Type: CMD
    3. Press: Shortcut Key (key to the left of the right hand Ctrl key on most keyboards)
    4. Type: a (accelerator key for Run as Administrator)
    5. Press: Alt+Y (accelerator key for Yes)
    6. Type: the two commands as specified by Coochin
    7. With the device manager showing use the Tab, up/down arrows to navigate the list.
    8. Press: Enter to select.
    9. Rinse / Repeat.
    10. Press: Alt+F4 to exit Device manager.
    11. Type: Exit
    12. Press: Enter (to exit command prompt)

Of course if your keyboard also doesn't work you're "up the proverbial estuary w/o the customary means of locomotion!"
    HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-03-22 at 21:05.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Coochin (2015-03-22),Sudo15 (2015-03-23)

Thanks
    @ RetiredGeek

Thanks for that. Have added your method to my HowTos.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    In Win 8, step 4 didn't work for me. A little experimentation gave me

4. Use down arrow to move focus to Run as administrator, press enter

Otherwise it worked.

Thanks
    Access,

It may depend on what is on your shortcut menu. You can also try Alt+a ( or what ever letter is underlined in the Run As Administrator) to see if that works. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Wondered what that key to the left of the R/H CTRL key was for - guess I should have read the user manual more thoroughly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Access,

It may depend on what is on your shortcut menu. You can also try Alt+a ( or what ever letter is underlined in the Run As Administrator) to see if that works. HTH
    Haha - there are no letters underlined in a win 8 search results! See attached files
    cmd.png
    cmd2.png

second one is where you have to use the arrow key after using the shortcut key.

BTW, thanks for reminding me of this key! Also tried the key to the left of that - with three cascaded windows on it and that puts all windows miniaturised on the screen, you live and learn!
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-03-23 at 13:50. Reason: Bit more info

Thanks
    Access,

Mea Culpa!

I forgot to mention that I was working from the Desktop in Win 8.1 not "Modern" it does make a difference. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Ahh, I assume that you've got startisback or similar as well. I don't (never liked the Win 7 start menu - too fiddly), so pressing the windows key takes me straight to the modern start screen. We're all different (standards, what standards?)

Thanks
    Access,

StartIsBack it is! I'm an old codger and "Modern" drove me crazy! That's why it's called a PERSONAL computer.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I'm an old codger too and Modern was a life saver. It takes all sorts.

Actually, that's why I like MS - there's always at least two ways of doing anything, often more. But we're now well off topic - we'll have the mods after us, especially the super ones

Thanks
    My guess is that if you have a touch screen, you could probably operate that way rather than being handicapped by the inoperative USB mouse.

Just bought a laptop for my wife, and she discovered that it has a touch screen. Mouse is optional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast