New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Vanishing print jobs (all sources)

I have a WIN7 Lenovo Thinkpad T61 wired to an HP All-in-One Officejet 4500. The HP is used almost entirely to scan handwritten pages for the purpose of fax/email, but occasionally it is used to print. There have been a lot of updates all over the shop lately and as far as I know, I've got them all. I use Firefox almost exclusively, only infrequently opening IE, screaming, and running away. Yesterday I found that any print job sent from any source, web page, email (Thunderbird), or saved file, failed to print. I'd receive a print-set-up grey box, mostly full size but also the smaller one, a loading bar, and then....nothing. Nada. No error messages anywhere at all. I tested IE as well just now and it fails in the same way. About two hours of the struggle yesterday were wasted trying to navigate the HP support site, but at least after that I know that the drivers I'm supposed to have are in fact installed. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the printer. Nada. I have encountered the laughable incompatibility between some nonsense called HP SmartPrint 4.5 and Firefox, installed the earlier version, and still nothing. Now I'm wondering where there is yet more tedious toggling between irrelevant help pages in store for my weekend, or if I am a victim of a new Known Problem somewhere. Am I at System Restore? Or do I have to spend money on a new printer? Or what? Any help etc appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Rule 1: get rid of all HP bloatware.
    Rule 2: use only Windows drivers for your printer.

Have you tried doing a test print from the "Printer properties"? (Right click on the printer and select Printer properties)

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Tomato (2015-03-23)

jwoods
    You might try this Fixit from the Microsoft Fixit Solution Center...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nting_problems

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Tomato (2015-03-23)

Thanks
    Often the cause is failed print jobs stuck in the print queue. Nothing else will print until the queue is cleared.

In "Devices and Printers" right-click on the printer then left-click on "See what's printing". If there are any print jobs listed then click on Printer\Cancel All Documents to clear the print queue.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Tomato (2015-03-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If downloading the entire release of the software from 09/2014 counts as get rid of all the bloatware, then I did so. The drivers are Windows, not any 3rd party ones. There is an HP diagnostic that had test print from Printer properties as a step, and once that failed, there was the only error message of the entire process, saying you can't fix it, go get the software, so I did. Thanks very much.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That fixit is very similar to the HP Fixit I found eventually. Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not only were there jobs in the print queue as you describe, but also there were a phantom printer and a bogus printer port to contend with. The deeper mystery is how all this started in the first place, and I don't imagine I'll get an answer to that. Thanks very much.