Lounger
    Thanks

User Account, Need to Transfer Settings

I'm not sure if I blew through the new install setup and missed the user name but I now have my computer set up the way I want and realize that the problem is I only had the Administrator account and that's the account used for all the settings and software installed. At first I simply renamed the administrator account and then I created a new standard user account. I renamed the administrator account to "Admin" and named the standard account to my name as wanted. What I need to do if possible is copy all the information on the Admin account over to the standard user account so all my installed programs and settings are good.

I still don't know how this got past me. I've set up many Windows 7 Pro 64 bit systems. Must be getting old or MS has changed something I didn't catch. I'm not sure if this is preventing me from logging in remotely using my RealVNC account but first things first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

jwoods
    The User State Migration Tool may work for you...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...6#Instructions

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

sreilly24590 (2015-03-22)

Lounger
    Thanks
    While this looked promising I don't see a way to transfer setting among one computer and the established users. As a last ditch effort I could transfer the files under Admin account to my newly named account and see how that works. Of course I'll do an Acronis full backup to the 2TB portable drive. Between the astronomy and MS programs I've got two days into this new install and haven't finished yet. It was one of those, no wait...what have I done moments which seem to be coming more frequently these days.

Thanks for the suggestion and reply. While I don't think the migration tool will work to a new user account I see how it can transfer one user account from one computer to another but not between different user accounts. I'll have to look at it closer.

Steve

jwoods
    Another option might be to use Windows Easy Transfer.

Ths link discusses how to use it on the same computer and hard drive...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...ame-hard-drive

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Copy the %USERDAT% and %APPDATA% folders to your new install over the current ones instead in the new instal. But this will contain all prior installed apps appdata which is usually a good thing but can confuse some apps that are installed subsequently.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well by time I decided to give in and do a fresh install I needed to use Secure Erase to wipe the SSD drive. Several failed attempts and I should have used the DOS approach but ended up with a password locked drive. No way to go any further other than sending the drive back to Samsung. Waiting on the UPS label now. Seems SSDs offer great speed improvement but are prone to "freeze" states when wiping the drives with the appropriate software but the password protection on the drive isn't something I did. What caused this is a total surprise to me. I had made a full backup of the drive recently and took a new 3TB HDD and restored the backup. Not a perfect solution but it has me running until the SSD is returned. Then it will be a complete fresh install and paying very close attention to the User Account setup. I usually have one user account and that is setup with Administrator control. In XP, the install walked you through the different users accounts early in the install process. Somehow I missed this with the very late night/early morning re-install. Won't happen again. By time this is set back up with all programs and settings it will be a 2+ day process.

Thanks for the replies.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was going to add after looking that either the userdat folder is no longer used by more modern versions of Windows or I am remembering its name wrong.

Either way, jwoods' suggestion of using Windows EZTransfer will do it for you. Use the one that is made for the bit version of Win7 as older versions won't work. There is a version that came with on the Win7 disk but a newer version as subsequently released by MS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't that simply transfer the user from one computer to another. The whole thing started because the only user account that was setup was the Administrator account. Usually I set my account at administrator level in my name, not Administrator. Logging in remotely should be Steve and not Administrator.

Steve

jwoods
    See the Advanced Options in Windows Easy Transfer for mapping accounts...