3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install Java just to do speed test?

On my old XP Desktop I uninstalled Java a while back because of all of the Security concerns.

On my new Windows Pro 8.1 Desktop, I would need to install Java to use the Speed Test supported by my "fiber" Internet Provider.

When I did have Java on my old XP Desktop & used the Speed Test supported by my "fiber" Internet Provider, I did periodically compare its results to several other Speed Tests (Flash & Java) & its results was very consistent with what I got from other Speed Tests - so I pretty much used it most of the time.

Do all of the Security concerns still exist from using Java - or have they been addressed & remedied?
    I just do not feel secure in installing Java to my new Desktop System.

Can you recommend a good Speed Test for my "fiber" Internet Connection that uses neither Java nor Flash?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think most speed test sites will require Flash but you can still install Java and then right click on the coffee cup to open Java and under the Security tab uncheck the box to Allow in browsers when done and that should keep you safe.

Thanks
    You could try timing the download of a known size file, some examples here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX
    Do all of the Security concerns still exist from using Java - or have they been addressed & remedied?
    IMHO the security concerns still remain.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX
    Can you recommend a good Speed Test for my "fiber" Internet Connection that uses neither Java nor Flash?
    Try http://speedof.me/ which uses HTML5... no Java, no Flash.

Hope this helps...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-03-23),gmcilwain (2015-04-08)

Thanks
    The latest versions of JAVA use a white-list to allow Java apps to run. This significantly reduces the chances of a Java infection.
    I haven't heard of a Java caused malware infection for quite awhile. That said, if you don't need it, I wouldn't install it but personally I don't see any problems if you run into a site that needs Java. I use it on a couple of sites.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The latest versions of JAVA use a white-list to allow Java apps to run. This significantly reduces the chances of a Java infection.
    I haven't heard of a Java caused malware infection for quite awhile.
    This site, visited by 10 million per month, was serving up drive-by downloads of a very nasty virus last month and this month, using Java or Flash exploits:

Jamie Oliver site hit by virus for second time

That said, if you don't need it, I wouldn't install it but personally I don't see any problems if you run into a site that needs Java. I use it on a couple of sites.
    How exactly do you whitelist them, and does that block Java completely at any other sites (like the speed test sites mentioned)?

Bruce

Thanks
    The link you posted states:
    [QUOTE]Anyone visiting the site using the Internet Explorer browser that did not have up-to-date plug-ins for Java and Flash would be infected, he said./[QUOTE]
    Of course if you don't keep Java up to date, you are vulnerable.

With the current version of Java, You have to whitelist a site in the security tab of the control panel Kava applet in order to run Java code. Any site not white listed including the speedtest site will not run until you add it to the whitelist.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Of course if you don't keep Java up to date, you are vulnerable.
    Sorry to state the obvious. You didn't specify.

Bruce

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    On my old XP Desktop I uninstalled Java a while back because of all of the Security concerns.

On my new Windows Pro 8.1 Desktop, I would need to install Java to use the Speed Test supported by my "fiber" Internet Provider.

When I did have Java on my old XP Desktop & used the Speed Test supported by my "fiber" Internet Provider, I did periodically compare its results to several other Speed Tests (Flash & Java) & its results was very consistent with what I got from other Speed Tests - so I pretty much used it most of the time.

Lots of good ones that don't use Java...

Here's a few...

http://www.speedtest.net/
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bw.asp
    http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Thanks
    March 26, 2015

Both Flash and JAVA are attack surfaces best either avoided entirely or mitigated. In my instance of IE11 in WIN7, I do not have JAVA installed and I keep Flash updated and keep it “Disabled” when I’m not using it.

An excellent speed test site that requires neither is http://testmy.net/

Thanks
    The other side of the coin:

I've used Java and Flash for years, without ever any problem, except for those obnoxious update schedulers, which I always disable.

But those are just two of a half dozen or more, programs that require frequent updates.

Flash 16 had a problem and was blocked out by Firefox. But Adobe provided an UN-Installer for it, to make sure it was completely removed from the PC, and also provided Flash 17, a repaired version.

I use a little U-Tube video "Jay Leno's Garage" as a test for a blocked Flash. If the 'Test' fails to play, I run the Flash Un-Installer, followed by the Flash 17 installer, and all's well again. I carry all these programs on my Utilities Flash Drive.

Just one more day, in the life of a Computer Tech.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks

keep it simple

Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post

Why not just install Java and revo uninstaller , do the speed test you probably need the results just once then use revo at level 4 and remove java . Solves all your problems