Lounger
    Thanks

One particular website loads VERY quickly and stops, but doesn't load completely!

I use Firefox for my default browser and one site in particular (WheresGeorge.com) loads almost instantly, stops loading, and is complete only 50% of the time.

It was suggested that I disable the plug-ins, so I tried a "plain vanilla" Firefox without any plug-ins and it still happens, although perhaps less frequently than my standard Firefox with lots of plug-ins.

(Most WheresGeorge pages eventually load if I reload them a couple times, but the forums tend to be totally munged up.)

Chrome is useless 50% of the time.

IE is OK, but loads very slowly.

Comodo IceDragon and Safari are useless....Vivaldi only works sometimes.

Opera is the most reliable.....works ~95% of the time.

Haven't seen this affect any other websites except one billpayer site.

All browsers and Windows (7) are up-to-date.

Tried it with a laptop and with different ISPs....still the same.

Any ideas.......Not sure what else to try!!??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I tried www.wheresgeorge.com in my IE 10 and it loaded straight up to a full page, although I haven't registered to see how the rest of the site works.

I did a ping and a tracecert on it and from the UK the ping took 97ms and the tracert did it in 13 hops.

Do you have the same AV program on each machine you have tried - and I assume you are using your own laptop at different locations ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-22 at 19:51.

Thanks
    I tried www.wheresgeorge.com in Chrome and it loaded instantly... with 4 adverts blocked by AdBlock Plus.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I tried www.wheresgeorge.com in my IE 10 and it loaded straight up to a full page, although I haven't registered to see how the rest of the site works.

I did a ping and a tracecert on it and from the UK the ping took 97ms and the tracert did it in 13 hops.

Do you have the same AV program on each machine you have tried - and I assume you are using your own laptop at different locations ?
    My desktop in one city is where I primarily have this issue, but I also found it to happen in another city using my wife's laptop.

Avast A/V on both, but the desktop also uses Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'll have to see what happens if I turn both off.

THNX!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I tried www.wheresgeorge.com in Chrome and it loaded instantly... with 4 adverts blocked by AdBlock Plus.

Hope this helps...
    I seem to be the only one with this problem. I've posted on their forum and no one else is reporting any issues!

THNX

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While Avast will run alongside most other active AV programs, it's always best to just have one installed.

To eliminate the AV as a possible cause, I never advocate turning them off but to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking which will isolate all 3rd party programs and still keep you safe with Windows Firewall.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    While Avast will run alongside most other active AV programs, it's always best to just have one installed.

To eliminate the AV as a possible cause, I never advocate turning them off but to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking which will isolate all 3rd party programs and still keep you safe with Windows Firewall.
    I know...I know....I've read dozens of times to never run 2 A/Vs at once, but I've never seen any issue before.

Last night I turned Microsoft Security Essentials off (still running Avast) and it seems to have solved the problem. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, and even Safari and IceDragon now work fine and the last 2 never got past a white screen! I should've been tipped off when IE was the only browser that always worked fine, even if it was extremely slow.

Wonder what MSE did 2 months ago to cause this incompatibility???

thnx

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That doesn't answer the question as to why your wife's laptop with just Avast on has the same problem.

Stick MSE back on and uninstall Avast to see if your desktop performs the same.

After you use Windows to uninstall Avast use its Uninstaller to remove any residue. https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility and then reboot.

Although I'd still favour Avast over MSE.

Thanks
    I run two anti-virus programs. Both run non-overlapping scheduled scans, only one has its real time protections on.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I run two anti-virus programs. Both run non-overlapping scheduled scans, only one has its real time protections on.
    Have you tried that web site Roland and are either of the AVs Avast or MSE ?

Thanks
    Sudo25, I lost track, which web site? I'm using Avast and Avira Anti-Virus; Avast runs the real time protections; however, every quarter, I will turn off Avast and run only Avira's real time protections. That way, I know at least one of two AVs is "available" if the other goes temporarily down.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Like Sudo15 I'm in the UK. A standard ping to www.wheresgeorge.com took between 89-91ms and a tracert took 16 hops (with most delays being the last 5 [all 5 showing as atlas.cogentco.com]).

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-23 at 12:46.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sudo25, I lost track, which web site? I'm using Avast and Avira Anti-Virus; Avast runs the real time protections; however, every quarter, I will turn off Avast and run only Avira's real time protections. That way, I know at least one of two AVs is "available" if the other goes temporarily down.
    http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ - is your scroll wheel broken

Thanks
    at school, i think web site is blocked
    what scroll wheel? touchpad

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    at school, i think web site is blocked
    what scroll wheel? touchpad
    I suppose you'll be adding that site to all of the others you have tried at school and were blocked

I hate those touchpads and always take my wireless mouse with me when I'm asked to look at a laptop.