Thanks

Installing from scratch

At one point I had screwed up my setup, and decided I would try it from scratch, thereby eliminating Windows 7 influences.

When I went to install it however, it wouldn't accept the PID#:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

I checked it back at the Microsoft site, and it looked fine (to me), so why won't it work? I was only able to install as an "upgrade" from 7.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-03-22 at 20:54. Reason: removed key characters
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Chuck,

This?

Product key: NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

That ^ is the one for the TP Builds.

If, you are going to clean, (Custom) install... format the drive, if not new.. can tell it to format as it goes through the install dialogue windows. The ISO on a DVD. Start the machine from OFF, insert the DVD and Press any key, blah, blah, blah. It is not done from inside 7. Install from the DVD outside the existing OS.

Forgive me if I have misunderstood. I may have & ergo said something inappropriate. Not meaning to insult your intelligence if I'm writing stuff you, already, know. But, if I am barking up the right tree, cannot clean install from w/in the current OS; only Upgrade. So, it's telling you same. If you're using the key I showed above, may be same reason it's rejected.

There's no need for Xs. That's a universal key all Insiders are using w/ the betas. It's that key one uses to install a TP.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42247

Thanks
    Drew, no insult or offense, only that we aren't seeming to communicate.

I have installed Windows both from a clean start and upgrade in the past. I am comfortable with the process and the issues. But, if it comes to the point where it asks for the ID, and keeps rejecting it, that issue is by itself and not related to any other part of the install. I may certainly have read the number wrong, but I doubled-checked it, so I am at a loss as to what the issue is, especially since, as you note, the number is one certainly not unique to me.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"