Thanks

Logging In to Windows 10

I undoubtedly am missing something here, but...

I thought that "they" said that I had to have my user ID be a Microsoft account. So, instead of having my user name and logging in as, for instance, CWBillow, I would need to have a user name and log in as cwbillow@hotmail.com in order to link in for updates etc.

I recall it being something about the update process?

Is that the case, or can I have a user name of "just" CWBillow, and password?

It shouldn't be, I suppose, but I find having to use a Hotmail login a bit of a pain.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    You can switch to a local account if you wish, I don't believe it affects Windows update and this is what I see when switching to a local account

Screenshot (2).png

Start->settings->accounts->disconnect my Microsoft account

Thanks
    In the install process, a the point where it asks for a Microsoft account, click on Get a new Micowsoft account. On the next page, there is a link to sign in locally. I don't remeber the exact wording. If you are already logging in with a Microsoft account, you can switch to a local account signin by going to Settings>Accounts>Disconnect my Microsoft account as Ian indicates.

Jerry

Thanks
    OK, thanks guys.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    In every version of Windows 10, and I've installed several, there is always a way, if you read carefully, to opt out of logging in with a Microsoft Account. I don't have one, and I don't want one, and I won't use a password either, especially on a BETA TEST.
    All that would be totally redundant.

It's like that update thing...... that's the worse way to install a new version of an OS that I've ever heard of.
    I wonder what stoner thought that one up???

I looked on the web, found a site where I could download the ISO's to the 10041 versions, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
    Then I downloaded the ISO's, burned them both to DVD's and I've installed both versions to five different computers.

That's the best way to test a new OS....... a Clean Install, from a boot disk. Then you have an install that most closely approximates what will be installed on a new computer, probably in China somewhere.
    It's the only way I'll test a new OS, and I've tested a bunch of them.

Good Luck Mates!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    OK, not being one to exhibit caution, I just went and changed my login to a local account. From CharlesBillow (Microsoft login) to CWBillow (local). That's good. But:

In Explorer, there is no CWBillow listed under the Users folder. The CWBillow is listed in the Navigation pane, but the "old" name CharlesBillow is still what is showing in the Users folder.

Now obviously it isn't the end of the world, since I use this computer exclusively. But it is strange to have it show under two separate identities (Navigation pane and folder list), and it does make one wonder if some other unfinished piece is still out there.

Or is the new name just some sort of symbolic link to the old name? Can / should I (or not) move my files to a user folder tree with the new name?

I never could leave well enough alone!

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    Oh, and Jerry, when I tried to do a "clean" install, it wouldn't accept the product key. I went back and double-checked it from the MS site, and it seems fine. But I had to do an upgrade install instead.

That eliminated the option of a clean install, which I would have preferred.

Chuck

Thanks
    Other than the initial install, I have installed new builds via Windows update. I have switched between a local login and a Microsoft account login and I'm currently using the Microsoft account. I do have two users listed in File Explorer user tree but things like IE favorites transfer seamlessly between the two accounts. If your IE favorites are correct, I would leave things alone.

jerry