Thanks

Can't edit Excel file on phone

I have an excel spread sheet in OneDrive. For some unknown reason I am unable to edit the file on my Windows Phone. I am able to edit the file on my laptop, and on my Surface tablet with out any problems the file is shared with my other Msft account and it shows the same "Can't edit workbook" message.
    Ideas anyone?

I just tried copying the information from the bad notebook to a brand new one and when I tried to open the new notebook with data in it I got the same Can't edit message
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2015-03-23 at 16:56.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Open the file on your laptop, and then make sure it is saved in an Excel format that the phone can deal with. I would also save it under a different file name. In this way, Excel will rewrite the file, hopefully purging the error from it.

Thanks
    Thanks Jim. I tried all of that, but to no avail. Although the problem brought back to mind something very similar that happened when I had a Windows 7 phone.
    That problem was caused by a formatting issue. In other words the phone did not like the way that the excel sheet was formatted from the desktop. I ended up having to redo almost all of it to get it to work again.
    In this case I started with the simple things i.e fill color etc. and worked my way backwards. The culprit turns out to be the custom formatting in the cells. 0.00"ELP" for example. Now the weird part is they were all working properly until I uploaded another sheet with a graph on it, then the proverbial #$7t hit the fan. So I ended up dumping the excel sheet with the graph on it off of OneDrive, but that didn't solve the problem so I next went and deleted all of the custom formatting and re uploaded to OneDrive, and can now open and edit on my phone. Last but not least from a laptop using Office 2013 I started reinserting the custom cell formats and as of right this minute all appears well.

Weird Huh?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    It is weird that you can't edit a MICROSOFT Excel document on a MICROSOFT Windows phone. Of all places to edit a Microsoft document, it ought to work on a Microsoft device.

However, editing documents on a phone is a relatively new thing compared to editing them on a computer. I suppose they haven't yet got all the bugs ironed out.

In the above scenario, you might have tried saving in an older format (e.g. XLS rather than XLSX) or a simpler format (e.g. CSV). By doing that, Excel itself might have stripped out the offending formatting, without your having to spend so much time doing it manually.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    It is weird that you can't edit a MICROSOFT Excel document on a MICROSOFT Windows phone. Of all places to edit a Microsoft document, it ought to work on a Microsoft device.

However, editing documents on a phone is a relatively new thing compared to editing them on a computer. I suppose they haven't yet got all the bugs ironed out.

In the above scenario, you might have tried saving in an older format (e.g. XLS rather than XLSX) or a simpler format (e.g. CSV). By doing that, Excel itself might have stripped out the offending formatting, without your having to spend so much time doing it manually.
    It's not that you can't edit an Excel spr3ad sheet on a Windows phone, because you can, although there is not the total functionality that there is editing it from either a tablet or laptop. Hopefully things will change with Windows 10 and the new Office. The only real problem that I have is that when something for whatever reason goes south with Excel on my phone, it really goes south. Not quite as bad as when OneNote goes south, but close....LOL About the only format of the three that I haven't tried is saving as a CSV file. Interesting thought there. I would still have to redo the cell formatting though. Anyway I made a new workbook and then sheet by sheet deleted the offending cell formatting column by column in the old workbook. Then I copied the sheet from the old to the new. Once in the new workbook I re did the cell formatting column by column and all is again working as it should, and as it had been.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

John
    Thanks John