Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Could this be what I did wrong installing Win10 from DVD?

I posted elsewhere here that I was unable to install from a DVD, that it wouldn't accept the S/N. Strange, since it was/is provided by Microsoft. Then it came across my (sometimes so slow) mind: "Could that S/N be an upgrade S/N and not a clean install number?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    I have never had to supply a product ID with a Windows 10 install.

jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Neither have I, Jerry. I was, actually, going to say that the other day. Thanks. Dunno why I hesitated. Now, that I think about it, we've never had to enter those generic beta keys; didn't when beta tested 8, either, did we?

There's something fishy. Your comment has make me admit, something didn't sit right when I 1st read the OP.

I wonder if the Win10 did not come from an 'official' source, maybe. But, yeah, something doesn't quite gibe.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42273

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    ...But, yeah, something doesn't quite gibe...
    There's that "Sum Ting Wong" fella again.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

DrWho (2015-03-29)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the .iso for Win10 from Microsoft and created the DVD from it, didn't have to enter the Product Key on the 2 computers I installed it on.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I downloaded the .iso for Win10 from Microsoft and created the DVD from it, didn't have to enter the Product Key on the 2 computers I installed it on.
    No, you don't have to. That's what has a number of us addled @ the OPost.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42289

Thanks
    I've never had to enter a product key for any of the W10 builds including the ISO for 10041 which I built using the instructions here.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    None of us have. It's not necessary; just doesn't arise. Hence, us all saying the same thing.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42293

Thanks
    Drew et al,

I dunno. All I do know is that I downloaded the Tech Preview ISO, and, when installing as an upgrade there was no problem. But when I tried to do it to a blank disk, it wanted the PID. I went back and double-checked it on the MS site for typos, but it looked fine.

Strange...

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

Win 10 Tech Preview Product Key.

When I first installed Windows 10 Tech Preview to a formatted disc I had to supply the generic Product Key: NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR. Not required for any subsequent updates, including Build 10041 from ISO file. WTP updates without asking for a key to a drive containing a previous version of the Preview.

Forgot to say 10041 doesn't work for me. Internet connection problem. Network and Sharing Centre reports an internet connection, but browsers IE, Chrome and Firefox cannot find an internet connection. Apparently this is a known problem but so far there is no solution. Windows Update doesn't work either!
    Last edited by acbeaton; 2015-03-26 at 04:55. Reason: Omission.

Thanks
    I got 9926 from MS, but when 10041 came out, I couldn't get it by Upgrade from MS.
    So I did what I always do..... I went on a web quest. (Search)
    I found a site with nice clean (no viruses, spyware or bloatware) ISO's of several OS's all the way back to 98.
    So I downloaded the ISO for 10041, burned the DVD and installed it to a little HP laptop that I use just for testing purposes. I let the installer re-format the C: partition and install 10041. The install was a bit different than 9926 but I wormed my way through it without having a MS Account or having to put in any keys or passwords. I like that!

TP 10041 loaded all the necessary drivers for video, sound and LAN, as I've seen it do on other PC's as well. Never any problem. It clean installed as well as any full Retail software package that I've ever installed.

JFI: Since I upgraded from 98 to XP many years ago, I've never again used an Upgrade version of any OS. To date, I've always done a CLEAN install of every OS whether it was to be a permanent OS or just Testing.

I've tested Windows 10 TP, 10041 on several different sizes, shapes and ages of PC's to far and it does well on them all. If MS doesn't screw it up somehow, I think Windows 10 will be a Keeper, and should breath a new breath of life into existing (older) PC's.

The old idea of having to buy a new PC for every new version of Windows really sucks, Big Time!

Another nice thing..... Windows 10, 10041 (32 bit) will run every program that I currently run on XP, including an old 16 bit game that I bought on a Floppy Disk, back in 1990. Go figure!
    So I could upgrade from XP to Windows 10, as my everyday OS, and really not loose a thing. I like that!

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor

PS: It's nice to see that MS has finally released the ISO for TP 10041. Bout time!
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-03-26 at 09:45.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks

Cool

Addendum:

It's only a suspicion, that when someone has problems installing a new OS, and they know that they are following the correct procedure, then it all comes back to the PC itself. I've found in the past 35 years working as a PC builder and tech, that some companies have used a very proprietary Bios, and a tweaked (modified) version of Windows, for whatever weird and selfish reason.

For instance, going back a few years ago, when you bought a Dell computer, you got a Dell Re-Install disk with it. That disk, and the OS on it would only install to that Dell computer. Now that's "Proprietary".

My first PC that I built out of spare parts, back in about 1983, had a genuine IBM XT Motherboard and bios. Every PC I've built for myself or others since then, has had an After-Market motherboard and bios. I find the After-Market motherboards to be much more adaptive and forgiving, than the OEM boards, because they are designed to work in any case, with almost ANY hardware and OS.

For instance, my MSI motherboard, now ten years old, will run any OS, 32 bit or 64 bit, from Windows 98 to Windows 10.
    It IS getting fussy in its old age, just like its owner, and it has its good days and its bad days, but it's still the best motherboard I've ever owned.

Forget about Spring....it's SUMMER in FL!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Wow! Now, that is sure interesting or shocking. Very cool!!

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42344

New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet with Windows 10

My Firefox works just fine with Win 10. It was an update download from M/S. In fact, the only problem I've seen so far is the audio driver won't update. I'd definitely get another d/l of Win 10.

Thanks
    That's the same number I have, but it didn't seem to work.

Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast