Thread: Undo amnesia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Undo amnesia

I use Word 2010 under Windows 7, and normally the undo function works fine; i.e., Ctrl + Z steps back through the last several actions, undoing them one by one, and Ctrl + Y steps forward again, redoing the undone actions one by one.

However, occasionally, Ctrl + Z will leap back over a whole sequence of actions instead of just the last one, undoing them all in one jump, and Ctrl +Y will not step forward through them again, so I have to re-key the last few actions all over again.

Is this "undo amnesia" a bug in Word or Windows, or could I be triggering it unwittingly somehow?

Thanks
    Would clicking Undo also leap back over several sequences, or does only Ctrl+Z do that?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know whether clicking Undo (rather than Ctrl + Z) can also trigger this issue, because it only happens occasionally, and I normally use Ctrl + Z for the undo function, and when it happens, Word just leaps back over a whole sequence of actions and then ignores the whole list of recent actions; i.e., neither Ctrl + Y nor Ctrl + Z nor clicking Undo or Redo does anything.

When the issue occurred just now, I noted that the drop-down list beside the Undo icon in the Quick-action toolbar still contained a long list of recent actions, but nothing happened when I tried Ctrl + Y or Ctrl + Z or clicking on Undo or Redo.

When I closed/reopened Word, the undo and redo functions resumed working normally.
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 2015-04-15 at 04:47.