Lounger
    Thanks

Device wrongly identified, how to install correct driver

I've just bought an Anker USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor (as my Carbon X1 doesn't have an Ethernet port).

My problem is that my computer has identified it as a Realtek USB CD Rom driver, and though it's listed in the Printers and Devices as a USB 10/100/1000 Lan, the driver for it is the CD Rom driver. I've downloaded the correct drivers from Anker, but am unclear as to how to unidentify the device as a CD Rom and install the correct drivers...

Could someone help?

Many thanks,

Joe

jwoods
    A couple of things to try...

1. In Device Manager, uninstall the adaptor, reboot, and let Windows re-detect it

2. In Device Manager, right-click on the adaptor, select Properties, click on the Drive tab, select Update Driver, select Browse my computer for software, and tell it where to find the correct driver.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=jwoods;992838]A couple of things to try...

1. In Device Manager, uninstall the adaptor, reboot, and let Windows re-detect it

2. In Device Manager, right-click on the adaptor, select Properties, click on the Drive tab, select Update Driver, select Browse my computer for software, and tell it where to find the correct driver

Though I can find the device named properly in the Devices and Printers folder, I can't find it in the Device Manager, where I think it is listed as a CD ROM.

I tried to do 1 with the Realtek CD Rom and USB Mass Storage driverss but it just installed it again as a CD Rom and USB Mass Storage device.

I tried 2 but it simply gives me the error message that Windows has determined that the CD player driver is up to date!

jwoods
    Some USB devices are "multi-mode", meaning that the driver internally switches to the kind of connection it thinks it has. This eliminates the need to ship multiple drivers with the device.

I would contact Anker support and work with them...

http://www.ianker.com/support

There are "mode switching" tools for Linux, but I am not aware of any for Windows.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've written to Anker support and will see what they say. Thanks for the help. Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why wait? Depending upon which one of these are yours:
    http://www.ianker.com/support/68UPGGBTA-BU

http://www.ianker.com/support/A7610011

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had consulted both these and had downloaded the relevant drivers. My problem was that my laptop identified the adaptor as either a cd rom or mass storage device and so wouldn't update to these drivers as they were inappropriate for the type of device it thought the adaptor was.

In the end, all Anker support could offer was update the motherboard or try it on another device. I will return it and I've ordered another couple of adaptors from Amazon to see if one works.

Joe