Thanks

Standalone Solitaire games

I found a standalone (not requiring a Microsoft account) set of software games for W-10. But, being a dingbat, I reinstalled last night to correct user issues, but hadn't made a copy, and now can't find the darn thing.

Ideas??

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Are you thinking of this makeuseof article?

Corrected link. (Thanks, Coochin )
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-24 at 20:31.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Are you thinking of this makeuseof article?
    Bad link Rick.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I found it guys. In the Youtube video you'll find the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_DIZpGjhvE

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    When I first installed Windows 7, I found that MS in its infinite wisdom, had modified my old favorite game, Solitaire.

I started playing that way back in the DOS days. I was used to the way it played and looked and I didn't like the new version at all. So, what to do?

After some false starts, I found, that if I just copy Sol.exe and cards.dll from XP to my flash drive, and then transplant them into a new folder in Windows 7 (or 8, 8.1 or 10) and then create a shortcut to sol.exe and put that on my desktop, I can play my old favorite Solitaire in any of the newer OS's.
    Problem solved.

The other card games can be transplanted as well, as long as 'cards.dll' is included in the same folder.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Doc, hello.
    I have used the W-98 solitaire for ever, as you found out, it is quite nice. Us old coggers like our set ways. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Legacy Microsoft Games Usable in Win8.1 / Win10

Hello all,

I'm supporting some Seniors at the local CCRC, and wanted to be able to give them access to the legacy MS Windows XP games (Solitare, Spider Solitare, MineSweeper, Hearts, Freecell, Pinball). Fortunately, another party on this board has provided excellent advice, follow the link below to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    This worked for Windows 7... I have no idea whether it will also work for Windows 8.1... (See the link, details remove by DVH) Hope this helps...
    Rick, thanks for your post. I went fosicking through old files and found all the files and folders you mention (including all the .chm help files); put them into a Windows XP Games folder in an old Windows XP VM I had in my Virtual Machines folder, and tried them out in XP -- they all worked (surprise). Then, I copied that folder into the Windows NT folder in Win 8.1 (current update level) and Win10 Build 10074, up-to-date. In both OSs the legacy MS Windows XP games worked just fine. So have at it folks!

DVHirst

SCP: Win7SP1 64bit; Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Rev 1.02G; BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1005 08/06/2010; CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 BE, 3.95 GHz; RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3, 16 GB (4 x 4 GB); SATA III SSD: 1 x OCZ Vertex 4 240 GB; SATA III HDD: 1 x Seagate 2 TB HSSD, 2 x WD 500 GB, 1 x Seagate 300 GB, 2 x Seagate Replica 2TB USB3 (Automatic backup); ODD: 1 x Plextor SATA DVD RW, 1 x ASUS BRDVD RW; VGA: ASUS EN6600TD PCIe; PSU: ePower Tiger 550w; Case: Eagle Tech-Skyhawk Server; Cooling: CPU-stock; 2 case fans.