2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need help with USB hub install

I have a several-year-old homebuilt PC running Windows 7x64. An old multi-port USB2.0 hub quit working so I ordered and tried to install a new one from Amazon, their Amazon Basics model.

However my PC won't find and install the proper driver from online so Amazon's hub doesn't work. Device Manager finds a USB 2.0 Hub with a yellow warning icon. I right click, select Update Driver Software, and then "Search automatically for updated driver software." Windows searches a bit and says "Windows was unable to install your USB 2.0 Hub". I'm connected of course. The last help it offers is to visit the manufacturer's website and download driver software directly. Pretty sure Amazon doesn't offer that.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by buggsy2; 2015-03-25 at 02:10.

Thanks
    From the look of it, the Amazon Basics USB hub should be plug'n'play using the built-in drivers... so there should be no need to go online to search from one.

When I get problems with USB devices I use Nir Sofer's USBDeview to look for and un-install old/un-wanted USB devices.

Under Options, turn on some of the options which are not shown by default, e.g. USB hubs and devices without drivers... it will give you a better feel for what's happening.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-25 at 02:40.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The USBDview is an excellent tool; thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled at more than one multi-port USB 2.0 driver, rebooting during the process, but still no joy. My Win7 machine won't properly install the plug-n-play driver for Amazon's hub. While I'm fairly sure that the problem is with my machine, I will probably return the hub to Amazon to try another. Just might be the hardware!
    Last edited by buggsy2; 2015-03-27 at 04:59.

Thanks
    Can you post a screenshot from Device Manager showing the expanded USB controller section?

(USBDeview is good for looking at USB devices that are or have been plugged in. To look at the USB controllers and ports themselves, a good utility is Microsoft's USBView. It's a bit of a pain extracting it from the Debugging tools for Windows but you can download it directly from here.)