Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win7 machine is in constant reboot after bios beep

Need help to determine what problem might be after my machine keeps rebooting after bios beep. I can only stop reboots by doing a force start. I built this machine over 4 years ago and have not had any problems. I assume it's a hardware glitch which I am not equipped to handle so brought computer to local repair shop. He's checked the system drive (I have 3 HDDs) and said that it's OK. He's guessing that it could be a power supply problem so he suggested that a new power supply be installed to see if it fixes my problem. If this does not fix problem he doesn't have a clear direction. Could be memory, MB, etc. Does anyone think this is the right approach? Can't he check power supply without installing a new power supply? Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did the tech or you boot it up into the Advanced Boot options to select Disable auto restart on system failure ?

This may produce a BSOD with a Stop Code for the hardware guys to better diagnose.

Will it also work when booted up into Safe Mode with Networking ?

Thanks
    If he doesn't have a dedicated PSU power checker, an ordinary multimeter or a spare PSU for a temporary swap then it's a bit of a surprise. The mainboard manufacturer's manual should be able to identify the cause of a single beep but it depends on the manufacturer of the BIOS. Memory faults tend to be either 1 short beep or 3 short beeps but, again it depends on the BIOS. Have a look here for some common beep codes.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't get beyond single beep from bios and then it starts the restart loop. I tried starting with windows 7 disk but my disk was not detected. I thought I had bios setup to read from dvd drive if system disk was detected but doesn't seem to be working. I thought single beep from bios was a no problem beep. Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried disabling the auto reboot yet - my Post #2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphf
    I thought single beep from bios was a no problem beep.
    Unfortunately no (unless it's an IBM mainboard). Did you look at the beep code link I posted in #3.

Depending on the mainboard/BIOS combo, it might have onboard diagnostics built-in... have you checked?

Thanks
    Hi Ralph,

Can you get into the boot options menu?

When you switch the PC on keep pressing F8 and a menu should show. Try selecting Last Known Good Configuration.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Unfortunately no (unless it's an IBM mainboard).
    You sure about that Rick? My AsRock mobo indicates success with a single beep as does an Asus mobo which I was working on the other day.

Thanks
    No, I'm not sure. The beep code article I linked to seems very dated. That's why I asked ralphf about the mainboard manufacturer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?
    If that works try booting into Safe Mode with Networking as recommended
    If that works try booting into Safe Mode and selecting Last Known Good Configuration as recommended
    You might have a chance at some further troubleshooting

On the Win7 disk that wasn’t detected try that disc on another computer
    I would also try a System Repair disc (Create one on another computer if you have to)
    If the Win7 disk attempts to work on another computer and the System Repair disc isn’t detected either, you might have a faulty DVD drive

When you built the machine did you get the manual for the motherboard you installed?
    Do you have diagnostic lights on the computer?
    If so look into your motherboard manual for the diagnostic information on those lights
    Watch them carefully when the computer boots up and then shuts down and check the diagnostic information on those lights
    If you do have the manual it should also include the beep codes for your motherboard
    I suspect that just that 1 beep should be ok
    If you do not have the manual, can you get one on-line?

Thanks
    I'm old school, this being a desktop - correct?, try carefully removing everything except motherboard and power supply & test; add one device & test, add another device & test, repeat until a device declares itself as bad, or, until everything is back in. However, for this to work, one has to know the post beep codes and "normal noises" as opposed to "un-normal noises." Back when Fred Flintstone feeted his car around town, I had to do this with desktops several times. If hardware doesn't reveal itself, back to software fiddling & testing.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    ?, try carefully removing everything except motherboard and power supply & test
    You will also need memory and a CPU!

BTW
    Have you tried just getting into BIOS?

PS
    One beep has meant ok on any computer I can remember. (OK thats a limited sample)

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    The single beep indicates the mobo and detected hardware devices are fine.

Do you see any error messages in this reboot cycle?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS? (you'll find the instructions in the user manual, usually involves shorting a jumper on the mobo)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't boot bios. After first beep it goes into auto reboot. The bios screen flashes for less than a second and it goes into reboot until I do forced shutdown. Local PC tried different power supply to no avail. Now suggesting a new MB and CPU to tune of $600. Currently have Asus P7P55D - E LX MB with Intel Core I5 650 CPU. He says new install will cost around $600. Seems a little high to me. My original cost for both 4 years ago was $314. Does this sound reasonable to you? I may give Asus a call but am getting a little old for this stuff so may bite the bullet. Again thank you all for your help.

Ralph

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you say the BIOS screen just flashes - is that say F2 - Set up or say F8 for the Advanced Boot options ?

A Win 7 Repair disk could get you into the Advanced Boot options to try the suggestions while in there.

One way to check if it could be the motherboard is to remove the RAM modules then switch on to see if you get the memory error beeps - this probably works better on a desktop than a laptop as I get nothing on this Toshiba laptop.

If you get the correct beeps then the mobo may be okay - no beeps usually means it isn't.

A quick check to see if it is the RAM and you have more than one stick, is to try booting with just each installed or you can create a bootable disk for Memtest 86+ and run on just one RAM module at a time.

This article will show you how to use Memtest 86+ although while memory errors can be obscure, your machine doesn't seem to be displaying the typical symptoms. http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ing-memtest86/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast