Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Upset,confused and more upset!

Every time you turn around these days, you have to be on guard for scams, crap & BS! Is there any simple software that performs as expected...don't think so? Yesterday I had an experience that I need help with. One of my pet peeves is that Security software interferes with the operation at hand. It over protects me. It is zealous in its' pursuit to prove it is the best protector. Don't help me...just run in the background and shut up. I had Norton Suite on my computer a while back because my ISP (Comcast) gave it to me. However, I found that it just interfered too much and irritated me. I uninstalled it. I put in Avast(paid). Earlier this month, I took Avast out temporarily to try Bit Defender. I came back yesterday and tried loading Avast back. Keep in mind I just purchased Avast a couple months ago. I kept getting an error message "The number of successful activations has reached the limit" WHAT? Sounds like freeware??? So I called Avast tech spt...here comes the comedy or tragedy of the month... I told the tech the error message, gave my order number and he says "it looks like you have another av program running or that you have corrupt files or both?" SURE! He said that he would have to come in remote and look at my computer. I played along. He came in and said "Yep you have Norton running AND you have a bunch of corrupted files and some disk errors and you could get a blue screen anytime soon!" I said I removed Norton already...with Norton tool. He said doesn't matter Norton is famous for that and most AV programs do the same! Furthermore, since you have had another AV program running, the active program has not been running at full capacity and thus has allowed corruption to occur to your files. If this keeps up you will eventually crash. I'm livid now as I've been around since the DOS days and have become paranoid about clean computers etc. NOW, COMES MY OBVIOUS QUESTION!! What can I do about it? Well, funny you mention that but we have a Tech Spt program for $179 year (?!?!?&%!$#!) that will clean up your computer like new anytime you want during the year. I said that I would do a clean install, as bad as I hate that before I would pay $180, are you crazy? SO TO MY QUESTION! IS THERE ANY AV SOFTWARE THAT WORKS WITH OTHER AV SOFTWARE; THAT UNINSTALLS WHEN YOU SAY TO UNINSTALL, even with the tool AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT, IS NOT INTRUSIVE TO MY DAILY USE? Not asking much! I apologize for this length but this subject is about to drive me crazy. I don't have time for the small irritating crap that flows regularly in the computer world these days. I wish to THANK YOU in advance for helping me out!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like to use Revo Uninstaller http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=revo+uninstaller
    Unfortunately Revo might not do the job because the program itself has already been uninstalled and you will need additional methods to clean out what needs to be done
    But try Revo anyway: if it does the job you will be good to go
    NOTE: It might not be free and you might have to use the 30-day free trial

As far as intrusive use to your daily use: I usually help people schedule the activity that needs to happen at times they are usually not on the computer. This is an oversimplified explanation but the idea is to allow someone to work on their computer without their programs hindering them.
    --- At least in your case you do want to keep your computer safe & secure and I wish I saw more of that

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Download and run the relevant Uninstallers a couple of times in Safe Mode with Networking and rebooting after each - in that mode none of their files will be active.

http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html

BTW - I've been using Norton 360 for a few years now and it hasn't caused any major problems with the computer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-25)

Thanks
    Only SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are truly un-intrusive, work in the background, and SpywareGuard only alerts you if you click it to do so.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Now, onto Avast AV, Avira AV, Malwarebytes AM, Spybot 1.62 or 2, and many many other security programs. All of these can certainly be intrusive! However, one can mitigate or minimize or reduce [not completely eliminate] intrusiveness via a well-balanced, well-configured, multi-layer defense. To me, well-configured never meant set it - forget it; such meant tweaking, testing, tuning, testing during the month to determine the best see-saw balance of real time/passive/scan security and day to day functionality [ability to get done what you want done concerning all nonSecurity programs].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seaboyd View Post
    Every time you turn around these days, you have to be on guard for scams, crap & BS! Is there any simple software that performs as expected...don't think so? Yesterday I had an experience that I need help with. One of my pet peeves is that Security software interferes with the operation at hand. It over protects me. It is zealous in its' pursuit to prove it is the best protector. Don't help me...just run in the background and shut up. I had Norton Suite on my computer a while back because my ISP (Comcast) gave it to me. However, I found that it just interfered too much and irritated me. I uninstalled it. I put in Avast(paid). Earlier this month, I took Avast out temporarily to try Bit Defender. I came back yesterday and tried loading Avast back. Keep in mind I just purchased Avast a couple months ago. I kept getting an error message "The number of successful activations has reached the limit" WHAT? Sounds like freeware??? So I called Avast tech spt...here comes the comedy or tragedy of the month... I told the tech the error message, gave my order number and he says "it looks like you have another av program running or that you have corrupt files or both?" SURE! He said that he would have to come in remote and look at my computer. I played along. He came in and said "Yep you have Norton running AND you have a bunch of corrupted files and some disk errors and you could get a blue screen anytime soon!" I said I removed Norton already...with Norton tool. He said doesn't matter Norton is famous for that and most AV programs do the same! Furthermore, since you have had another AV program running, the active program has not been running at full capacity and thus has allowed corruption to occur to your files. If this keeps up you will eventually crash. I'm livid now as I've been around since the DOS days and have become paranoid about clean computers etc. NOW, COMES MY OBVIOUS QUESTION!! What can I do about it? Well, funny you mention that but we have a Tech Spt program for $179 year (?!?!?&%!$#!) that will clean up your computer like new anytime you want during the year. I said that I would do a clean install, as bad as I hate that before I would pay $180, are you crazy? SO TO MY QUESTION! IS THERE ANY AV SOFTWARE THAT WORKS WITH OTHER AV SOFTWARE; THAT UNINSTALLS WHEN YOU SAY TO UNINSTALL, even with the tool AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT, IS NOT INTRUSIVE TO MY DAILY USE? Not asking much! I apologize for this length but this subject is about to drive me crazy. I don't have time for the small irritating crap that flows regularly in the computer world these days. I wish to THANK YOU in advance for helping me out!
    Please use paragraphs when posting!

That to me is just a wall of text that is very hard to read.

Screenshot (9).png

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-26)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    the active program has not been running at full capacity and thus has allowed corruption to occur to your files
    That's really good from a support person. Obviously need to sell more support, so just make stuff up!

I use Panda and it does almost nothing unless it thinks I haven't run a scan recently. It's so quiet it had quarantined LibreOffice without notification and I was scratching my head trying to work out the issue. It did pop up a message to say it had un-quarantined my file a couple of days later.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Supposed fix-it applications cause more problems than needed. I just finished cleaning Optimizer Pro and PC-Matic from a computer that had a physical 'net connection but nothing could access the 'net, not even the Ping command in Command Prompt, never did find which of the two programs caused it or maybe both did.

Thanks
    IS THERE ANY AV SOFTWARE THAT WORKS WITH OTHER AV SOFTWARE; THAT UNINSTALLS WHEN YOU SAY TO UNINSTALL, even with the tool AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT, IS NOT INTRUSIVE TO MY DAILY USE?
    I use Trend Micro Maximum Security. It is not very intrusive, and I believe it uninstalls when you say to uninstall. Also, it provides good protection.

Lounger
    Thanks
    cmptrgy: I use Revo all the time because it looks for straggler files and leads one to conclude that the program is really wiped out but I found out different. Thus the Norton remover tool. It appears to this layman that most all of the AV software buries itself in the bowels of WIndows for what logical reason I can't tell you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni: So if it is hard for you to read...DON'T READ IT! Was it expected of you to reply? no! Was it expected of you to give an English lesson on a forum? No! Replying and wasting Forum space to give yourself the aura of pseudo intelligence is far worse than no paragraphs. Did you offer anything constructive? No! I suspect your thousand posts to earn VIP(?) status were similar posts? "You can tell people what they can't do but you can't tell them what they can do!"

Thanks
    Browni: So if it is hard for you to read...DON'T READ IT! Was it expected of you to reply? no! Was it expected of you to give an English lesson on a forum? No! Replying and wasting Forum space to give yourself the aura of pseudo intelligence is far worse than no paragraphs. Did you offer anything constructive? No! I suspect your thousand posts to earn VIP(?) status were similar posts? "You can tell people what they can't do but you can't tell them what they can do!"
    Such a sad reply.

I didn't read your post as it was just a wall of text.

EOM

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi seaboyd,

It does make it easier to read a post when it is paragraphed but I can understand your frustration at the Avast tech's response and that you just wanted to get it out.

If using the Uninstallers as I've suggested has no effect, then you will have to manually dig their bits out.

You haven't said which OS you are using so will go on the assumption of Win 7.

First of all check for any of their folders in Program Files /Program Files (x86) right click on any and Delete.

Go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers and do the same in there.

Now for the registry.

Create a restore point then go Start > type regedit > press enter then accept the UAC.

Navigate HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software and do the same in there.

Navigate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE - Ditto

Close up the sections > click on File/Exit and reboot to effect the changes.

Run a command prompt as an administrator by going Start > type cmd.exe > right click on cmd and select Run as administrator > accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow to see if there are any files to repair.

If that reports no integrity violations then I'd get back onto Avast and demand they reactivate your Avast - it would just have been the same if you had to reinstall following a HDD replacement.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

seaboyd (2015-03-25)

Thanks
    Browni got VIP status because those who manage this blog felt that his posts contributed a lot to the blog.

I am quite sure that he didn't give freely of his time in thousands of posts just to get VIP status. My impression, after reading most of his posts, was that he, like the rest of us VIPers, sincerely wanted to help those who needed computer help, even ungrateful ones like yourself.

I agree with him, your post is a wall of text. It is hard to read.

Just curious, if it was not expected of him to reply, why did you post?

I answered one of your questions. Did you mind that I replied?

Jim

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2015-03-25)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So I called Avast tech spt...
    Well, funny you mention that but we have a Tech Spt program for $179 year (?!?!?&%!$#!) that will clean up your computer like new anytime you want during the year.
    Try calling the real Avast Technical Support instead of the first number at the top of search results.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-26)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast