Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remove driver and leftovers from Apowersoft screencast recorder

I was looking for a recording program to make videos for youtube that recorded a screen session with audio and mouse-click highlighing. As part of that search, I installed one called Apowersoft.
    It did not work out <<understatement.

I uninstalled it a few weeks ago, but have discovered lots of folders and files left behind (including a driver still there) AND M A N Y registry entries that contain the string 'Apowersoft.'

The files and folders are easy to delete, but I am concerned about deleting the registry items. For example, if the 'Apowersoft' string appears in one line in the right panel, how do you know
    if just that one 'element' should be deleted
    or if everything on the right should go
    or right side AND the left side entry?

Are there any tools I should be aware of to facilitate this process?
    Windows 8.1

Thanks
    I use Nir Sofer's RegScanner to do a search for either the name or the 'modified date' of the keys (if I know when the software was installed).

I prefer RegScanner to regedit because I can see all the results at once instead of continually having to hit F3.

Make sure you run it as Administrator. You can export the found Registry values into a .reg file and post it here for us to have a look at (and which can also be used in RegEdit).

(PS - It work in Windows 8 but I couldn't see any mention of 8.1

Hope this helps...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by movrshakr View Post
    Are there any tools I should be aware of to facilitate this process?
    Windows 8.1
    Revo has never left me down!
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Another:
    http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.php

Rich

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Can't use those.
    See "I uninstalled it a few weeks ago, ..."
    Those will only work for currently installed programs.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Make sure you run [Nirsoft Rgscanner] as Administrator. You can export the found Registry values into a .reg file and post it here for us to have a look at (and which can also be used in RegEdit).

(PS - It work in Windows 8 but I couldn't see any mention of 8.1
    Works in Win 8.1.

I tried to post the .regfile of found items, but it is not a valid filetype.

Thanks
    movershakr - If you rename the file extension from .reg to .txt you should be fine to post.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by movrshakr View Post
    Can't use those.
    See "I uninstalled it a few weeks ago, ..."
    Those will only work for currently installed programs.
    Revo may still get rid of remnants with "Forced Uninstall":

Revo Forced Uninstall.PNG

Rich

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Atch is the registry export using Nirsoft regscanner, finding "apowersoft" , selecting all, and exporting--renamed to txt.

Aside--I am subscribed to this thread per the selection at the bottom of the input screen, but never get email.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I created a new Win 7 x64 VM (I don't use or have access to Windows 8/8.1) and installed then uninstalled Apowersoft screencast recorder so I could better understand what you are seeing. A scan for Apowersoft using RegScanner showed 105 registry entries left (2 of which were for changes to the Windows Firewall)... remarkably different to just the 8 shown in the text file you attached.

It also showed me that the Apowersoft virtual audio device driver (Apowersoft_AudioDevice.sys) wasn't removed either from the registry (where you can't see the filepath in the reg file 'cos it's in hex format) or from the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder. Have you checked your own C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder to see if the Apowersoft_AudioDevice.sys file is still present?

I had monitored the installation with InCtrl5 and this showed that a RegScan for Apowersoft isn't sufficient. You also need to scan for Bytescout and multiple CLSIDs as well where Apowersoft isn't mentioned.

I can also see from the 5th entry in your attached file that the "WDM Audio driver mapper" is set to Apowersoft's virtual audio device driver. Are you having any problems with sound?

Taking all this into account, I don't believe that removal of the 8 registry entries (one of which shows you have an Apowersoft service installed and - it looks like - set to Manual) is the best way forward.

I think a System Restore to a date prior to the installation of Apowersoft seems the best/safest bet (especially if you are having problems with sound).

If that's not possible then rmonroe36's suggestion of using Revo Uninstaller is a good one, even if you have to use Revo Uninstaller to monitor a re-installation of Apowersoft screencast recorder before using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall it again. The reason for this is that it will catch the CLSID entries in the registry as well as cached install files that don't include Apowersoft in the name. (Also, it's tedious searching through the filesystem manually looking for remnants, especially if buried within hidden AppData/ProgramData folders.)

Please let us know what you decide.

Hope this helps...

jwoods
    You might try this Fixit from the Microsoft Fixit Solution Center...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._and_uninstall

I have used it to clean up incomplete uninstalls.

However, Piriform's CCleaner may clean up a lot of that for you...

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

I have used the free version for years with no issues.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-03-28 at 16:16.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I apologize for not responding--did not get email alerts...

a. Can't do the system restore approach; it was too far back, so would mess up other things.

b. To my mind, Apowersoft is one evil piece of software.

c. Registry has only two 'Bytescout' entries, keys, with a no-data default value.

d. I looked in Revo, but do not see how to make it 'monitor' a new installation. I think reinstalling with monitor on and the uninstalling again might be the way to get the stuff gone. How?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Movrshakr,

The monitor installation feature is only in the Pro (paid) version of Revo. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Movrshakr, The monitor installation feature is only in the Pro (paid) version of Revo. HTH
    Yeah, I just figured that out after serious digging. The Revo pages REALLY steer you into the Pro version--took some clicking finally to see the comparison. The price for one installation is sensible--for 3 computers, begins to get above my "home software' price. I may just get it for this one machine to solve this however.

Still not getting email post notifications, and I THINK I have them turned on--the interface is confusing...can check beside 'instant' but see nowhere to tell it to SAVE that setting

AND, I am set for "Instantly, using email" in the general settings, but they don't show up.

EDIT--notifications fixed
    my bad
    email address was bad; now fixed
    Last edited by movrshakr; 2015-04-04 at 12:37.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Movrshakr,

Check this deal out. I've bought a lot of utility software from this site (I get a daily email) and they have been reliable. I've also found that it while checking out if you up the number of copies often the price per copy goes down. As I remember I got a great deal on Revo Pro this way I bought 4 copies. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Too late...already bought it from within existing old Revo, but it offered a good deal <20 for one computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast