5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

March's patching goes out like a lamb

PATCH WATCH

March's patching goes out like a lamb

By Susan Bradley

The patching issues of March are resolved, and it's time for our end of month roundup. With Windows Server 2003 hitting its end-of-life in four months, the biggest March headache was reserved for admins.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/marchs-patching-goes-out-like-a-lamb/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-03-25 at 20:49.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I love Windows Secrets and have subscribed for many years. The Windows Patching column is great, BUT I find it hard to use. I have my computer download Windows Patches, but not install until I give the OK. Now I must review those patches by number to make sure that they are listed in Susan Bradley's list of "Install" patches.

What I would like to do is to click on a hotlink in the Susan's patch list and have it automatically be installed the next time I do a Restart. Is there some way that I can do this???

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No, you can't install updates that way.
    Unless there is a specific "this patch is broken" note there is no need to check each patch, just allow Windows to install everything. Obviously make an image backup to external disk first.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most home users are total amateurs who use their computer(s) for simple things like browsing, emails and games along with a few home management things like online banking (which I avoid like the plague). They have neither the time, knowledge, nor the interest to take on image backups. They may not be able to afford the extra hardware either.

I'm in that category, I've checked out guides to running image backup software and been confounded and confused each time I've done so.

How I get round it is to make a simple list each month on a sheet of lined paper of the KB numbers offered on my two machines, and then I check the Patch Watch column and mark them each as "install", "hide", or "hold" according to the advice given. It only takes a few minutes. I leave it a day or so in case any contrary problems are posted following that advice, and then select the batch of "install" updates and install them - first on one machine, and then a day later on the other if I've had no problems on the first machine. I hide the ones marked "hide" and wait for further advice later in the month on the ones marked "hold".

We each have our own ways of playing Microsoft's monthly Update Roulette game, but thus far this method has worked for me. I now have all the appropriate March updates safely installed, and the extra time taken to deal with them allowed Microsoft to withdraw the odd one or apply any hot-fixes. It also means I have a list of all the updates from recent months and what I did with them, and occasionally that is useful to refer back to including when people are subsequently asking questions about particular updates.
    Last edited by Tandor; 2015-03-29 at 08:33.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    They have neither the time, knowledge, nor the interest to take on image backups
    This should be part of every users computing routine. Backup is the one (cheap) thing you can do to reduce the pain of data loss / virus attack.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    This should be part of every users computing routine. Backup is the one (cheap) thing you can do to reduce the pain of data loss / virus attack.

cheers, Paul
    In an ideal world, yes. But in the real world good luck enabling my wife's very elderly aunt who only uses the computer for browsing and keeping in touch with the family to do so. Perhaps we'll buy her an external drive for her birthday in May and leave her son to explain what to do with it !

Most people who visit forums like this one are either there or halfway there already, but we mustn't make the mistake of assuming that users of this type of forum are representative of all computer users, they aren't. Moreover, even those with a sufficient knowledge of computers to be able to cope with this sort of thing often have working/family lives that are too full to allow them to do more than set updates to automatic and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Tandor; 2015-03-29 at 09:08.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

ComputerGranny (2015-03-29)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your point about users is well made, but those with virtually no knowledge and even less interest are not going to check which updates to load. Those with sufficient interest to do this are also sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to perform backups.

cheers, Paul