5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do SSDs require special care and feeding?

LANGALIST PLUS

Do SSDs require special care and feeding?

By Fred Langa

Early solid-state drives sometimes needed manual intervention to perform well, especially in pre–Win7 PCs. Here's what's needed with today's SSDs and operating systems. Plus: The pros and cons of deleting a PC's hidden OEM and recovery partitions, and weather apps for business and pleasure.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/do-ssds-require-special-care-and-feeding/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred As usual enjoying my weekly Windows Secrets fix. About weather sites. Try heading over to weather,gc,ca - the Environment Canada site - it is massive everything from actual/7 day forecasts for all Canadian sites to real time radar, real time satellite images of North America, jetstream forcasts aviation weather, and ALL the available weather maps. It takes a bit of navigating but for a weather buff its a real treasure trove.
    Thanks and Keep up the good work
    Al

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred:
    Although he did not say, it appears that he was using the weather gadgets which were part of the Side-bar Gadgets in Win 7. MS no longer supports these. I was also using those gadgets and started receiving the exact same message. If he installs "7 Sidebar 2.80" by Helmut Buhler he will have access to several gadgets, including an additional weather display which works well.
    Fred K.

Thanks
    I concur with fbkurtz in that the weather app could be the [no longer supported] Windows Gadget.

The odd thing is the "failure" does not seem to be universal. Of 4 Win7 units, an Acer laptop (Win7/64bit) and HP Netbook (Win7/32bit) failed at different times, weeks apart. A Dell desktop and Asus laptop (both Win7/64) keep on displaying. All have been regularly updated on roughly the same schedule.

Other gadgets -- Calendar, cpu meter (by MS), and a third party Clock --- also continue to work correctly. I assume, however, these don't need contact with the outside world.

Thanks
    I concur with fbkurtz in that the weather app could be the [no longer supported] Windows Gadget.

The odd thing is the "failure" does not seem to be universal. Of 4 Win7 units, an Acer laptop (Win7/64bit) and HP Netbook (Win7/32bit) failed at different times, weeks apart. A Dell desktop and Asus laptop (both Win7/64) keep on displaying. All have been regularly updated on roughly the same schedule.

Other gadgets -- Calendar, cpu meter (by MS), and a third party Clock --- also continue to work correctly. I assume, however, these don't need contact with the outside world.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On Weather Underground, I use the Forecast Plus Firefox plugin. It displays an icon in the browser. A click reveals the current weather from WU.

I used to use another plugin - it would pop up a web page with a selection of cities I'd set and their forecast. But several times it failed completely and had to be reinstalled.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is THIS the SSD future?