New Lounger
    Thanks

KB2952664 Update Problems

I have Win 7. Even though I have auto-update turned off KB2952664 installed on my computer.

Prior to this update, my start up time was 1 minute 5 seconds.

After this update installed, my start up time was 3 minutes 35 seconds!

I probably should have deleted the update immediately, but I thought I would try to solve the problem. Big Mistake!

I spent an hour-plus doing multiple Disk Cleanups, Defrags, etc. For that effort I was rewarded with a reduction in start up time - to a "blazing" 3 minutes 15 seconds.

After reviewing some of the horror stories about this update, I rolled back to a week-ago restore point, did one Disk Cleanup and a Defrag. My start up time is now at 1 minute 5 seconds again.

Does MS do any testing at all on this piece of unnecessary bloatware? One would think after 4-5 calamitous roll-outs they would take a look at it before sending it out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I installed that one without any problems and it didn't auto install on me as I have mine set to let me decide.

It would seem as in the past, not all Win 7 installs are equal when it comes to the problems that arise from WUs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

bob6060 (2015-03-26)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've already hidden this update a number of times, but it appeared again yesterday as an important update checked ready to be installed (I have it set to notify and let me decide), but today it's gone into the optional list where of course it is unchecked. It is a purely optional update and only required if you're planning on upgrading to a newer version of Windows.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

bob6060 (2015-03-26)

jwoods
    KB2952644 was problematic from the git go...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/283...-80242016.html

It's a *compatibility* update and is on Susan Bradley's master Patch Watch chart as Optional.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-03-26 at 18:15.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

bob6060 (2015-03-26)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since installing the update my laptop continued to boot up in the minute to minute and 5 secs until I switched it on recently after a break and it took about 15 secs longer - so I've uninstalled it as well - did a Disk Cleanup which didn't have anything excessive and if it presents again, I'll hide it as this machine isn't upgradeable even to Win 8.1 let alone Win 10.

I'll wait until the morning before I check to see if it has made any difference.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

bob6060 (2015-03-26)