Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Black screen for no apparent reason

My wife has an Asus laptop, 12 months old, Win 8, very basic installation. Just lately it has been shutting down, sometimes as she is writing an e-mail, or it may just be idle. There is no warning, no error message, and it will re-boot into Windows, normal boot just as though it had been properly shut down. Then it will run normally until the next shut down which maybe in minutes or days. My first thought was over heating, but the case is barely warm. I've blown compressed air through the vents, no clouds of dust, in fact no dust at all.

I believe that there is an Event Log which records things like this, but have never had the misfortune to need to delve into it. Where will it be? What should I look for?

Just one other thing that is puzzling. I have tried many times to update to 8.1, the download churns away for hours (literally), the installing, setting up, setting up devices, restarting, then, "Could not complete the update. Restoring your system" which it does. Have asked Asus who say it's a MS problem, and MS who say it's an Asus problem. About the sort of support that I expect from both. I have an unused legit 8.1 CD, would I be able to upgrade using that?

Thanks,

David

Thanks
    Lapop what a misnomer. If she is using it actually in her lap w/o a board it may be overheating because of blocked fan.

This looks to be a good article on eventviewer for W8
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...ent-viewer.htm

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

jwoods
    Try these troubleshooting steps...

1. In Control Panel, select Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools > Generate a System Health Report.

2. In Control Panel, select Adminstrative Tools > Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Post your results.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One reason why the upgrade to Win 8.1 can fail is if not all of the Win 8.0 WUs have been installed.

Do you have any that have been hidden or are any pending - there could be some important updates required as pre-requisites so do a manual check for updates just to be sure.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-26 at 20:30.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the responses. I agree with you David when you say 'laptop' is a misnomer, but the machine has never been used as a "laptop" per se, always on a desk. And as I said the case was never more than slightly warm.

Mixed results from Administrative Tools etc. I did manage to generate a System Health Report, I saved it, but it is an .html file which isn't an option. So I re-saved it as a text file, but the layout has been trashed. This is the first time I've tried to do this, is there a better way????

However, the Memory Diagnostic won't run. I get an error message:

C\Windows\System32\MdSched.exe
    The Device is not ready.

The only option is OK,

And Sudo15 I'll check on the updates.
    Attached Files Attached Files

jwoods
    The System Health Report shows 2 services that failed, and the Memory Diagnostic not running on reboot is a problem as well...

I would open an elevated Command prompt (Run As Adminstrator) and enter sfc /SCANNOW. When it has completed, run this command to place the results in a viewable text file that will be created on your desktop.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > "%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

Post the results.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post

I believe that there is an Event Log which records things like this, but have never had the misfortune to need to delve into it. Where will it be? What should I look for?

David
    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, and expand the Custom Views folder...click on Administrative Events.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What a comprehensive lot of suggestions, thank you all very much. But, isn't there always a 'but'? I tried the Event Viewer first, got the familiar pop-up:

C:\System32\eventviewer.msc
    The device is not ready.

So I tried the Elevated Command prompt. Yet again I got the same pop-up, cmd.exe not ready

She doesn't have much data on this machine, just uses it for e-mail and looking up stuff on the Web so I think the quickest way out might be to do a restore to factory defaults.

Thanks again.

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What does the elevated command dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth produce ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow that was quick! The problem is that cmd.exe will run, but not as Administrator. Trying to run any command as Administrator brings up the device not ready pop-up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you boot up into the Advanced Boot options and select Repair your Computer, are you able to navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt to see if that will execute any commands.

To run any repair commands from there you will need to determine where Windows thinks which partition has the volume.

At the command prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter, try (assuming c) chkdsk c: /r

It doesn't require a reboot as the volume isn't mounted and will produce its report in the command window until you enter exit to close it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This pesky machine came with no handbook, and shows no start options when booting up, just password screen then Windows opens. I haven't paid much heed to it since it seemed to boot okay, and my wife could send e-mails, so I wasn't going to interfere. So now I'm downloading the handbook, will get back to the problem when I've had a look at it. I really hate Asus support, they have a chat page, but in order to chat you have to create a case number, but none of the links on that page work so it isn't possible. I'm sure it cuts down on their work load considerably.

Thanks for your help, will get back to the lounge in a while.

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's usually a vendor folder in All Programs, wherever that is in Win 8.0 but these are options in how to boot up into the Advanced Boot options. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What a can of worms! The irony of this situation is that I have been making images religiously, but the update to 8.1 problem has been going on since 8.1 was released. The oldest images were being over-written as I made new ones, so the oldest image I have contains the error that is causing the problem! Anyway, I got the handbook, on page 100+++ I found the start-up options, "Press F9 during POST". Succinct enough, only there is no audible or visual indication that it is POSTing. Still after several tries I got to the Options.

One was Reset which restore it to factory fresh. That seemed like a lot of work, all those updates, all the programs to re-install, too much.

Another was Refresh. I've heard so much about this non-destructive fix, sounded like magic, just what I needed. There was a warning that said "All Apps would be removed", but my files and setting would not. To my simple mind an App is something used on smart phones, or downloaded from the Apps Store; I don't have a smart phone, never will, and I've never even peeped into the App Store. Not a word about my "/Program Files", so what had I got to lose? An hour later I was looking at the ghastly tiled Win 8. When I got to the Desktop there were two icons, an empty Recycling bin, and a list of programs that had been removed.

No point in crying over spilled milk, so before going further I checked for Win updates. 146 of them, 1.2GB+. So I was no better off than if I'd done a Reset. I selected all, and left it to get on with the job. Another hour later the progress bar was still churning, 0 KB downloaded, 0 KB installed. I stopped the download and looked at the list. Selected just the first one, clicked on install. Nothing. I checked to see if I could connect with Google & the BBC, no problem. Back to updates; clicked on the second, it installed OK. Tried #3, nothing. Same with #4. #5 & #6 went OK; #7, nothing. At this point I gave up and re-booted, can't say why I did.

When it came to life I was looking at a blue screen, not the deadly variety, the Downloading Updates kind, 67 of them. 67? Yes. An hour later it booted into Windows. I checked Win Updates, 57 important ones available. So I started out needing 146, I installed 3, that leaves 143 to go by my reckoning. Windows had installed 67. The way I see it is 143-67= 73. So 16 "important updates" have gone missing. Or is my arithmetic as out of date as my phone?

Now I don't know what to do. My first inclination is to back the car over the machine and claim on the insurance, but failing that is it worth pursuing this upgrade? Should I re-install all the programs? Or should I wait for Win 10? Or perhaps the best option is go back to Win 3.11, now that appeals to me!

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does the computer not have this option http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...matic-repair-/

An alternative would be to restore with your image and try the Repair Install which will retain the programs or the other steps in https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-29 at 18:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast