4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why do I get this error message, and how can I fix it?

Win 7 Pro, SP1.

When I go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools and double-click on Task Scheduler, the Task Scheduler appears to open, but I get the attached error message.

I don't know what causes it, or how to fix it. When I close the error window (by selecting OK or the X in the upper right corner), the Task Scheduler remains open, and appears to be functional.

Any info would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Find the offending task in the list of tasks. I do not have that one in my list. You can disable or delete it by right click. I would first find out what program it is associated with and see if that program still exists on your PC. This should be listed in the General tab along with tabs for all the task parameters. If the program is still on your PC, you could delete the task and reinstall the program. I do not know why you would need a "Program data updater" but maybe that has something to do with the Pro Win 7. The easy solution might be just to disable the task and see if anything changes. You might check out this article also:
    http://www.kjrnet.com/Info/Windows%2...tings%202.html

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would run the System File Checker. sfc /scannow
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...fc-scannow.htm

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both for the replies.
    ldb, I followed the directions in the link you provided, and deleted (rather than disabled) all tasks listed, since I'm not at all collecting information to send to Microsoft. This didn't help - the error message still came up.

Then I did a search for ProgramDataUpdater, navigated to its folder and deleted it.

This fixed the error message problem (although I don't know if it created other problems by being deleted).

Paul, I ran SFC /scannow, and there were no problems found. In fact, I run SFC weekly when I do my normal system scans (Malwarebytes, Spybot, SuperAntispyware, Avast, TDSS Rootkit). My last scan with SFC was 3 days ago, so I didn't really expect to find a problem.

Again, thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should not be able to delete that file easily because it's a Windows DLL (aepdu.dll). What is the file you deleted?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, the file I deleted was the one named in the error message, ProgramDataUpdater (I can't remember if it had an extension). Perhaps it's just a Task title? In any case, once navigated to it, deletion was the same as for any other file.

The DLL (aepdu.dll) remains on my system.

jwoods
    SFC will probably replace the DLL since it is part of the Windows OS.

This would be a better way to correct the issue (courtesy of VMare)...

1. In the Windows 7 or Windows 8 guest operating system, start the control panel and click Action Center > Change Action Center settings.

2. Click Customer Experience Improvement Program settings.

3. Select No, I don't want to participate in the program and click Save changes.

4. Start the control panel and click Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler.

5. In the Task Scheduler (Local) pane of the Task Scheduler dialog box, expand the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows nodes and open the Application Experience folder.

6. Disable the AITAgent and ProgramDataUpdater tasks.

7. In the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows node, open the Customer Experience Improvement Program folder.

8. Disable the Consolidator, KernelCEIPTask, and Use CEIP tasks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, thanks for your reply.

I've already done what you suggest, which was also suggested in the link supplied by ldb (except, as mentioned earlier, I deleted the tasks, rather than disabling them).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    once navigated to it, deletion was the same as for any other file
    How did you search for the file? If you used Windows Explorer it wasn't a task.
    It may have been a virus masquerading as a Windows file.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I did use Windows Explorer. If it was a virus, it sure evaded my virus scans.