Banned Member
    Thanks

Exclamation New CCleaner - Please Update 27/3/15

Attachment 42379

New Ccleaner version 5.04 now available

In version 5.04, we've added a feature to ignore new files in your custom cleaning options - great for the temporary folders of your favorite apps! We've also improved support for smaller screen sizes along with optimizing the algorithm for detecting system restore points.

Download HERE.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42380

PS: Geeez, I hope I put this in the right spot
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-03-28 at 23:38.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    PS: Geeez, I hope I put this in the right spot
    Matt.6:13 KJV: "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil...".

IOW I think you'll get away with it Drew.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Follow this link for Setting up Disk Cleanup in Task Scheduler

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Yesterday (1/30/15) CCleaner found 379MB analyzing with the defaults selected, today it's 277MB. Of that 277MB, 263MB are Temporary Internet Files, which is a meaningless number, since those files would be rapidly replenished if they were deleted, and the total number is limited by the TIF cache settings in IE 11, anyway. IMO, including Temporary Internet Files in the mix is just a means of inflating the supposed effectiveness of running CCleaner.

Extended cleanmgr running once every 24 hours via Task Scheduler is keeping my drives from being overly cluttered by temporary files. The only option CCleaner offers that is not already available to me is a Registry Cleaner, which I have absolutely no intention of running, and for which there is no real need.

Revo Uninstaller Pro has virtually the same tools/options as CCleaner, its Registry cleaning is specifically targeted toward leftovers in the registry when an application/utility is being uninstalled, and that I do use. In addition, Revo Uninstaller Pro contains a Windows Tools tab (Tools > Windows Tools) displaying a launching icon for common Windows Tools. For instance, "System File Checker" will open an elevated Command Window and launch sfc /scannow; just a double click is all it takes. If you have Revo Uninstaller Pro, check it out.

So, I'll keep CCleaner around and updated for auditing purposes, but it has yet to demonstrate to me any worthwhile reason for actually using it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    So, I'll keep CCleaner around and updated for auditing purposes, but it has yet to demonstrate to me any worthwhile reason for actually using it.
    Except Drive Wiper?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Except Drive Wiper?
    Like I said, worthwhile reason. How to wipe a hard drive. One can burn DBAN to a CD and put it aside for use as needed; no installation required.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So you only keep Ccleaner installed so that you can tell everyone how useless it is?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    So you only keep Ccleaner installed so that you can tell everyone how useless it is?
    ... and updated. I can't very well comment on a utility which I haven't evaluated, and I've been keeping up with CCleaner for several years, now. Perhaps one could call me a minimalist, but I personally don't see a need for any utility that does little more than what Windows can do natively.

Using this latest version of CCleaner to analyze my drives, 81% of what it reported for removal are files that are very quickly going to be replaced, such as Temporary Internet Files and Thumbnail Cache files. My use of extended cleanmgr.exe via Task Scheduler keeps my temp file level below the threshold of the CCleaner Monitor. So if my temp file accumulation is kept below the warning level of CCleaner by Windows own utility, I see very little need for actually running CCleaner. I can make this comparison by having CCleaner installed and updated.

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CCleaner does so much and is a single place where you can do a lot. I've used CCleaner since 2012 when I got Win 7 64 bit on a new computer and haven't had any problems at all with it. In addition to cleaning out the windows temporary files and Temporary Internet files (which you can uncheck if you wish to keep them), you can flush DNS, Font, and Thumbnail caches. The tools section is a great place to remove old system resort points one at a time, and check, disable, or delete unneeded startup items. Yes, some of these things will come back but this keeps them down, and I always run it to clean things up before I do a manual Defrag. I still have the old program so I can't what the new is like, but I'm happy with my old version 3.23, 64 bit. Seems 64 bit programs are still a bit hard to find.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    I still have the old program so I can't what the new is like, but I'm happy with my old version 3.23, 64 bit. Seems 64 bit programs are still a bit hard to find.
    There have been 30 new versions since then, with bug fixes, new features and improvements, including many applicable to 64-bit computers: CCleaner Version History

The 64-bit version of CCleaner is automatically installed and run on a 64-bit version of Windows.

Why not update to the latest and greatest?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    30? WOW! That's 10 new versions per year since 2012! That's what I've come to expect from Web Browsers and Antivirus programs, but not CCleaner, a program that has worked perfectly for me all those 3 years without updates. I've even used the registry cleaner on occasion with no problem. Thanks for the info. I'll look into it some more and then consider an update if it's necessary. I'm still using Win 7 too.