Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java(TM)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Java(TM)

Found attached on my event viewer. What does Java(TM) Platform SE binary do on the system? Is this something
    to worry about and how do I fix this?
    Thanks
    Dave

Java.png

Thanks
    Have a look at this Lifehacker article What Is Java, Is It Insecure, and Should I Use It?. It's an easy-to-read, non-technical explanation about what Java is and whether you should worry about it.

I know opinion is divided here on WSL but I have had Java (Runtime Environment) uninstalled for quite some time without any problems.

The particular Event you've shown is nothing to worry about itself... it's just Windows self-checking for any performance issues.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-27 at 10:30.

Thanks
    Rick, that article was written on 3/6/2013. As I've said in several other posts. I believe Java is a lot more secure now than it was in the past because it now uses a white list to enable Java runtime apps. That said my current recommendation is to not enable Java and see if you run into any websites that need it. There's no sense in installing something you don't need. If any do, enable Java, keep it up to date and don't lose any sleep over it. I have been running Java on all three of my browsers for years without any infections.

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-27)

Thanks
    Jerry - I do understand your point of view, hence my use of "opinion is divided here on WSL".

Unfortunately not everyone is technically savvy (and/or understands whitelisting) and the article was the latest I could find quickly that was both easy-to-read and non-technical.

I agree wholeheartedly that there's no sense in installing something you don't need... but I've seen just too many PC's where an old, insecure (and non-autoupdating) version of Java has been installed as part of the OEM build, either originally or as a result of a recovery to factory default.

I also agree that Java has become more secure (if you are aware that you may need to remove old versions manually, install a new auto-updating version then allow it to keep itself up-to-date)... but at a cost. IMHO, the all-too-frequent updates have just created a new problem based on Oracle's insistence on bundling PUP's with each Java update. Unfortunately, again in my opinion, you have to be technically-savvy to understand the (possibly negative) implications of not removing the ticks from the tiny little pre-checked 'optional extras' boxes. (I fix a lot of friends and family's PC's and if I had a pound for how often I hear 'I don't know' when I've asked how additional browsers, BHO's and McAfee Security Scans have appeared then I could have retired a whole lot sooner. )

For a more up-to-date article, the OP could have a look at Java now installing adware (March 4th, 2015). I know the article is about Macs but, to be honest, I see exactly the same behaviour when I install Java on Windows VM's for testing (and/or respond to a Java autoupdate icon appearing in the Notification Area).

My default stance now is to remove Java whenever I encounter it (and leave a note about how to contact me if this causes any problems). It just saves a lot of calls from friends and family when their favourites have suddenly disappeared ('cos a new browser has been installed and made itself the default) or their home page has mysteriously changed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A 101 Event ID is to do with startup/boot problems and that could have related to Java's updater having problems looking for an update, as it was just a Warning.

I have Java installed but disabled in browsers and have its updater unchecked in msconfig.

Have a look in there under the Startup tab, uncheck it and you probably won't see that Event ID again.

Clicking on the blue online help link may give similar info if MS has anything on that Event ID.

Thanks
    Java is not something to be feared! It's a programming language used in many electronic devices worldwide.
    If you buy a Smart Refrigerator, it probably has Java in it.

Without it, many web pages cannot be viewed.

I install it on every one of my own PC's and my customer's PC's as well. We never have any problems with it.

DO, disable the Java update scheduler in your Startup, just so it doesn't bug you.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears that this Java(TM) has to do with ViewPower 2.13, which is software to monitor my UPS connected to my system.
    I have uninstalled this and I don't get the 101 message in event viewer.
    Also the Jave update scheduler does not appear in my Startup. I have previously disabled Java in my FF browser.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Without it, many web pages cannot be viewed.
    Name some.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Name some.
    pingtest.net springs to mind, can't verify as I am on my mobile.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    www.pingtest.net and Netalyzr both require Java but the reference is to be able to read web pages and not use tools.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    ...Is this something to worry about and how do I fix this?...
    That is a very old version of Java. It should be uninstalled.

If you need to use program(s) written in the Java language then you can download the latest Java Runtime Environment (usually the 32bit version).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    As I've said in several other posts. I believe Java is a lot more secure now than it was in the past because it now uses a white list to enable Java runtime apps.
    I believe that only unsigned Java apps are blocked; Why are Java applications blocked by your security settings with the latest Java?

And the Exception Site List only applies to unsigned apps: How do I control when an untrusted applet or application runs in my web browser?

If a white list isn't required for all Java apps, does it provide much better security?

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good lord! No kidding. Java is on 8.0 now. It is still a security risk, but 6.0 geez. I agree, uninstall and install the runtime version.

http://filehippo.com/download_jre_32/

[note a 64biit version is available if you rather] http://filehippo.com/download_jre_64
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-27 at 23:19.

Thanks
    Mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I believe that only unsigned Java apps are blocked; Why are Java applications blocked by your security settings with the latest Java?

And the Exception Site List only applies to unsigned apps: How do I control when an untrusted applet or application runs in my web browser?

If a white list isn't required for all Java apps, does it provide much better security?

Bruce
    I guess all my Java apps are unsigned then since I had to white list all of them. I don't really understand the requirements for having a Java app signed to know if it adds anything to security. All I know is that i haven't picked up any infections due to Java and i haven't read of any major Java infections in the past year on systems with updated Java. I continue to believe it's not a major concern but everyone is welcome to their own opinion.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have updated Java to Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U40.
    Have disabled Java Auto updater in Startup.
    Have reinstalled ViewPower UPS monitor, and now don't receive any 101 messages to do with Java.
    Thanks to all for all the input.
    Regards
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast