3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Upgrading Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2013

I am currently using MS Office 2007 running on Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 desktops and a laptop, and if it means anything I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released this summer.That said, I have recently purchased MS Office Professional 2013 Plus (with 3 licenses) by download and this is what I have aquestion about, or more specifically about the Outlook 2013 portion of it.

Apparently, there is no such thing as "upgrade"software anymore, so my instructions if I understand them correctly are that I MUST UNINSTALL the installed software first, then install the new one.I have no problem doing this with any part ofthe new version other than with Outlook 2013, and this raises a few questions in my non-technical mind such as. . . .

1.What about my current "Outlook.pst"file?Will uninstalling in any way damage my now 12-year-old .pst file (it was originally in Outlook 2003), and likewise can I expect it to work properly in the new Outlook 2013 afterinstallation?If you knew the extreme valueI now place on this one file, you would understand why I ask that question.:-(
    2.I am likely going to make a backup copy of my current Outlook.pst file just to make me feel better, but is it necessary to restore this .pst file after installing Outlook 2013 or is anything to be gained by doing so?

Please forgive the amateur questions, but I am not at all comfortable with doing this. I am really nervous about this with Outlook, and I welcome any suggestions from anyone out there, and I thank you inadvance.
    Last edited by decann; 2015-03-27 at 18:18.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay folks, one more rookie question. In the installation directions for these, it notes both 32-bit and 64-bit executables are furnished and then says that the 32-bit copy is "faster and more stable" in use and can be installed in either machine. If that is the case, they why do they send both and why would or should anyone ever install the slower and less stable 64-bit version if this is true? That is intended as a serious question if anyone can answer it before I install them in a 32-bit laptop and two 64-bit desktops. Thank you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    I am currently using MS Office 2007 running on Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 desktops and a laptop, and if it means anything I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released this summer.That said, I have recently purchased MS Office Professional 2013 Plus (with 3 licenses) by download and this is what I have aquestion about, or more specifically about the Outlook 2013 portion of it.

Apparently, there is no such thing as "upgrade"software anymore, so my instructions if I understand them correctly are that I MUST UNINSTALL the installed software first, then install the new one.I have no problem doing this with any part ofthe new version other than with Outlook 2013, and this raises a few questions in my non-technical mind such as. . . .

1.What about my current "Outlook.pst"file?Will uninstalling in any way damage my now 12-year-old .pst file (it was originally in Outlook 2003), and likewise can I expect it to work properly in the new Outlook 2013 afterinstallation?If you knew the extreme valueI now place on this one file, you would understand why I ask that question.:-(
    2.I am likely going to make a backup copy of my current Outlook.pst file just to make me feel better, but is it necessary to restore this .pst file after installing Outlook 2013 or is anything to be gained by doing so?

Please forgive the amateur questions, but I am not at all comfortable with doing this. I am really nervous about this with Outlook, and I welcome any suggestions from anyone out there, and I thank you inadvance.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can install Office 2013 and have it replace an older version. You should not have to worry about the PST file. Making a backup is always a prudent step when performing a major upgrade.

Many Office add-ins still have not been upgraded to 64-bit and therefore won't work with 64-bit Office. The 64-bit version can support much larger spreadsheets for one.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good you made a backup of your .pst file. Keep it.

Do not simply copy your old .pst into the folder that has the new one. The correct way to get your old info into a new Outlook is by using the "Import" procedure. It walks you through it. I've never had a problem doing it that way, and I've done it approximately 60 times.

Find it under "File" > "Import-Export".

You shouldn't have a problem. If it goes silly on you, just delete the wrong folders it created and import again.

As far as updating/upgrading to Win10 - I can't imagine why anyone would plan to do that before it was at least a year old - if at all.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - unless you are a glutton for punishment and/or have too much time on your hands. Newer is not necessarily better, especially for software of any kind. That goes double for operating systems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    As Joe said, you can upgrade your existing installation and if it goes as my upgrade from Office 2010 went, it should be pretty much painless. If you have the possibility, I would recommend creating a full system image, just as a recommend procedure to use in any major software upgrade. This will allow you to go back to a working version in case something goes wrong - it is not likely, but it is not impossible.

Office 32 bit versions are still recommended over Office 64 bit versions. The latter are recommended for users who need to handle bigger files, as in Excel larger files, where the 64 bit version should perform better. Both versions are included to allow users to choose, according to their own needs. It's better that you decide what is best for you, knowing your own reality, than letting someone else do it for you. The same reasoning applies to the operating system.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Save your Outlook PST files, and back up them using SCANPST.EXE. Store them at the right place, i.e. an external storage media. Now uninstall your current Outlook version, i.e. 2007, and install the newer version, i.e. 2013. After successfully installing it, configure an email account with it. Now are ready with your newer Outlook 2013. You can import them to this newer version of Outlook.

You can refer to Microsoft site for better help. Read this article: Import Outlook items from an Outlook Data File (.pst)

Thanks.