Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Downloads fail, IE crashes

Got a Compaq desktop running Win7 Home Premium 32-bit. Every time I try to download a file, I get a "download cannot be completed" error, followed within a couple seconds by "Internet Explorer has stopped working," and IE 11 closes. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Internet Options

On the "Advanced" tab click "Reset".

Try downloading again.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Internet Options

On the "Advanced" tab click "Reset".

Try downloading again.
    Tried that already, didn't help. Tried System Restore from about a month back, it couldn't do anything. It's starting to look like a Repair Install is in my future.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try this at a Command Prompt with admin rights: sfc /scannow
    To gain admin rights navigate to the Command Prompt shortcut and right click on it, then select "Run as administrator".

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Try this at a Command Prompt with admin rights: sfc /scannow
    To gain admin rights navigate to the Command Prompt shortcut and right click on it, then select "Run as administrator".

cheers, Paul
    Tried thst, SFC didn't find any problems. I went through a similar problem with a different Win7 desktop earlier this week, and a Repair Install was the final solution.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried downloading with another browser or are you unable to to even install another one and I assume you have tried downloading in Safe Mode with Networking ?

If your install disk is a SP1 ISO you could try an offboot sfc /scannow to check the files from an incorrupt source and see if that finds anything to repair.

Boot up with that, selecting Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment then select Command Prompt.

At the prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter enter (assuming c)

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-28 at 06:30.

Thanks
    I may be stating the obvious here. Have you run a scan for Malware?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info on an offboot scan. If I could manage to get my hands on the ISO needed, I'd give that a try. This is the second time this week I've tried to download an ISO from the Microsoft site and failed. I give them my license key and I get an OK back that it is valid, but then nothing happens. I'm expecting that I'd be redirected to a download link, but nada.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    I may be stating the obvious here. Have you run a scan for Malware?
    More than one, with different products. Nothing major showing up. I even got a warning from Windows that Norton Security Suite was messed up, so I used the Norton Removal Tool and got rid of it temporarily. I think there's some Registry damage.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Norton has a Remove and Restore tool which negates the need to uninstall when it becomes buggy.

There is some suspicion that the NRT doesn't get rid of everything, but anything that has been left behind will be isolated in Safe Mode with Networking as well as any 3rd party start up programs.

There may be some remnants left in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers.

Have you tried contacting MS about the ISO download problems ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Norton has a Remove and Restore tool which negates the need to uninstall when it becomes buggy.

There is some suspicion that the NRT doesn't get rid of everything, but anything that has been left behind will be isolated in Safe Mode with Networking as well as any 3rd party start up programs.

There may be some remnants left in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers.

Have you tried contacting MS about the ISO download problems ?
    I've never seen that Norton tool (just the Removal tool) but will check it out. I did manage to locate a Microsoft Fix-It for Internet Explorer that discovered some farkled security settings within IE and corrected them. Testing now to see if the IE crashes have stopped. haven't contacted MS yet about the problem with ISO files, but that's on my To-Do list

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is the R & R tool https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/...rProfile_en_us

I would have thought the reset would have corrected any security settings - can you give us a link for the Fixit ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to get the ISO again just now, when nothing happened after the Product Key was validated I opened a chat session with Microsoft. The support person's first suggestion was that I contact Compaq about getting a Vista OEM disk from them, then upgrade to Win7 after the Vista install. I objected to that, so I was reluctantly given a link to the Win7 ISO. The link didn't work, so I was given a second one, which took me right back to the Software Recovery page I had started at The tech's response was the page must be down for maintenance, and I should give it another try in 12-24 hours. When I told him the page had been misbehaving exactly the same way Tuesday, he ran out of ideas.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Other than the ISO have you tried downloading anything else since running the MS Fixit, as the two could be related ?

A thought - As the MS guy seemed reluctant to supply you with the ISO link, wonder if MS have capped the downloads ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-28 at 17:50.

Lounger
    Thanks
    When I was still using IE8/XP Pro it would often go berserk for me. I tried about everything you have done, with no improvement. I also hate to do Repair installs as I usually end up with some kind of a mess. One thing I found that DID work, was to make sure I had a good download of IE and then do a full uninstall of IE. Then, Restart Windows and reinstall Internet Explorer, putting asl;l the updates in it. This would get it going again for awhile. I finally just got tired of DOING that, and decided to try Google Chrome. I've never gone back to IE since then! Why keep whipping a dead horse? Even MS realizes what a total mess it is and it will not be here for Win 10! They are working up a NEW browser, one that actually works! I say, "TRY Chrome!" It simply works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast