Lounger
    Thanks

New Computers will need UEFI to run Windows 10; older systems can run Windows 10 on BIOS

Back in October 2014, lots of tech journals were reporting that the system requirements for Windows 10 would be the same as Windows 8, which weren't much more than Windows 7. Hooray! Then we heard about the free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8. Double hooray!!

This past week, I read an update from the WinHEC Conference, that Windows 10 will need UEFI on the machine, instead of the traditional BIOS. That means that a lot of Windows 7 and 8 users will be out of luck. Sure, just about anyone who bought a new computer with Windows 8 will probably be fine. I'm talking about people who upgraded older machines.

Here is slide # 8 from the PowerPoint presentation (https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/...c2b612d6e.pptx)

WinHEC Windows 10 requirements.png

QUESTION: Anyone out there with a computer with BIOS who has successfully installed and run the Windows 10 Preview?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    According to Paul Thurrott manufacturers can allow turning off Secure Boot, as it happened with Windows 8. If manufacturers allow that, nothing will change, from a practical point of view, when compared with Windows 8.

I believe these requirements are for new computers, not for existing computers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I believe these requirements are for new computers, not for existing computers.
    Ah, that makes sense. After all, this conference was for hardware developers. I will rest a bit easier (I'm one of those with an older computer.)

Still, I'd like to confirm that by hearing from those who've used the Preview on a computer with BIOS instead of UEFI.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have with no problems at all. Have not upgraded since the second build though, as I use my laptop mainly.

Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Administrator
    Thanks
    There are many people using old computers. I recently read someone stating that a 6 year old computer was running Windows 10 without issues.

Here are some examples:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...Win10-from-DVD
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My test computer was built in 2007. It triple boots into XP, Win 7 and Win 10. I'm using Win 10 Build 10041 upgraded from 9926. I started with the Win 10 build before that. Rest easy and choose something else to worry about. There's no shortage.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Rui.
    I run 10041 on 4 machines, the one with the highest seniority is a Toshiba 100 A, it will turn 9 on 31-jun-2015. Runs to beat the band. Yesterday, it got upgraded to Realtek audio after fooling the cut out time to install, in gpedit.msc. Hey ! Let us not discredit old machines nor persons.
    I hope that you are doing fine. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

We should never discredit anyone or anything, unless we are forced to . Easier to do with machines, though, persons should never be discredited. We may find some opinions are less solid, but those can come from all ages .

Take care.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks everyone for the positive responses. That's reassuring.
    I'm marking this thread as "Solved."
    Even better: wish there was a way to change the title to something like: "New computers will need UEFI in order to run Windows 10; older systems are OK, though." Sadly, this forum software appears to not have that function.