Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shutdown restart shortcuts

A few years ago I created 2 desktop shortcuts on my then XP computer and recently on my 2 Windows 7 computers
    The shutdown shortcut is SHUTDOWN -S -T 1
    The restart shortcut is Restart > SHUTDOWN -R -T 1
    Upon shutting down a message appears that the shortcut will take less than a minute
    Can I make that less than 30 or 15 seconds?
    For my computers less than 15 seconds will be fine
    --- I haven't actually determined how long it takes but it does happen very quickly
    But for my family I prefer less than 30 seconds

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Cmptrgy,

Open a command window.
    Type: shutdown /?

it will give you all the parameters for the Shutdown.exe command.

According to the list /t xxx is the number of seconds before shutdown.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-28)

Thanks
    You must be a very impatient man to worry about cutting 30 seconds off of shutdown.

Jerry

Thanks
    Mine is shutdown.exe -s -t 00, does that mean instantly? It came from a previous post some while back....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Access,

You bet it does!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    So it will be good for the OP then

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    So it will be good for the OP then
    ... who is waiting a leisurely 1 second for the action to take place!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "You must be a very impatient man to worry about cutting 30 seconds off of shutdown"
    Jerry you are on the right track but it isn't about me.
    --- I know I mentioned shorter times for me but that was just a matter of curiosity and I'm not planning on changing anything

However the real reason I like using that is because I maintain a number of computers at a non-profit organization, help many of the families going through our program and have relatives who's patience is more than too short and use to always complain about how long it takes for their computer to shut down
    --- So what to do?
    --- Create that shortcut to shutdown within a minute so they can see the message
    --- Than I count to maybe 20 seconds or so or let them time it as it shuts down
    --- Then I say something like hey buddy that's faster than a minute
    --- Now I don't hear complaints anymore unless there's a real problem

Oh yes, on the patience thing, I've lost track of how many times I've told someone patience is a virtue especially when they click repeatedly on something and then it takes "10 minutes" to recover to get what they wanted and I let them know how 10 seconds becomes a waste of 10 minutes
    --- Now they know when they click away don't bother me because I'll take more than 10 minutes just to get there

Thanks
    Ah, Star Trek's Scotty. He admitted that whenever he was asked by Kirk how long it would take to fix something, he would always double what he thought it would take, thus garnering a reputation for being a miracle worker.

Thanks
    What can lengthen a shutdown is the number of drives on a system. Each one must be "Closed" before a proper shutdown can take place, regardless of what Shortcut you use.

Having said that, I personally use the .....

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

shortcut on Windows XP. My shutdown usually takes between 5 and 8 seconds, depending on what programs I've left open. (which I try NOT to do).

That must, however, be modified slightly, for versions of Windows, 8 and above.
    ( %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0 )

I started using the Quick Shutdown shortcut way back in Windows 98 days, and I've been using it ever since, even though the syntax for the command has changed.

I personally want a quick shutdown, because as soon as the PC shuts down (turns OFF) , I then switch off the power to the PC, and its peripherals, through a switchable power strip, and I don't want to sit there for an extended period of time, with my finger on the switch.
    Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-29)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very well put DrWho. As I had mentioned my main intent of the subject at hand was managing long shutdown complaints in my volunteerism. At first I tried explanations but the impatience and lack to grasp common sense explanations led me to the plan I developed. On my own computer it takes only 6 seconds to shut down but my curiosity sometimes leads me to question more than I should but it helps me learn something because that's how I learn. I don't have any computer training other than OJT requirements when I was in the working world and I have found times when my curiosity helped me learn better but when it's just a "moot question" it helps me realize I didn't have to ask that question

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I prefer to force shutdown after 1 minute in registry. I don't particularly think it is good to unpower the system with apps open---even badly behaving apps. Obviously you guys get away with it.

Unless you are awaiting the PC to shut off to manually shut off a UPS I see no reason to fret over it taking a couple of minutes to shut down since it does it unattended.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2015-03-30)

Thanks
    In my experience, it's normally not a good idea to force-shutdown and improperly or imperfectly close open background, security, etc. programs. One will pay for that eventually. Hopefully OP can reEducate the impatient ones that most normal shutdowns will not be measured in seconds, rather, clumps of time, depending upon what was open and/or in service at the beginning of the shutdown.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Although I have seen references to those commands doing a forced shutdown I haven't seen it happen at least with the command I'm using. Like I said the main reason I got into the shutdown/restart is to stop the unnecessarily squabbling of the people I help of the computer taking too long to shut down

I have also done a few experiments to determine if there is a forced shutdown going on but the simplest reference I can use is my own command. In both the shutdown/restart commands my computer should be shutting down in 1 second and that isn't happening.
    --- Last month I serviced a computer where I volunteered at that had become seriously infected and took forever to shut down.
    --- And it still took forever to shut down even with that 1 second command

If there is a way to employ a forced shutdown I wouldn't do it anyway as I'm not advanced enough to know the pros & cons of doing so

Thanks
    Improperly and/or incomplete shutdown sequences could lead to problems down the road. For me, often, speedy boots and speedy shutdowns mask if not cause later-appearing problems.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-03-30 at 14:40.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast