Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Switching off internal drives repeat question

Turning off internal SATA hard drive

A friend has installed a switch in his desktop computer which allows him to turn on or off 4 installed SATA hard drives.

The question is, can he turn on or off drives while the computer is running? For example, can he turn off drive E, and how will this effect drive F?

My suggestion was that Windows 7 would need to reconfigure if he did that while the computer was running. Another friend says Windows will just adapt and rename drive F as drive E and just carry on working. He says it would be the same as plugging in an external drive through USB.

Any suggestions on what would happen in this instance?

I asked this question previously and someone closed the thread with the wrong answer.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows remembers drive letter mapping and if you remove / turn off E: nothing else will change.
    Turning off any drive without first telling Windows via the "remove drive" option in the taskbar will potentially result in data corruption. If you are trying to save power set the drives to power down after 10 minutes via the power options.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you.

Do you realize this question is about using a drive switch for internal hard drives, a gadget you can install to turn internal drives on or off. Few people seem to know about this gadget you can buy from Amazon.

From your answer, it seems one needs to tell Windows about removing the internal drive before turning it off on the drive switch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfield View Post
    Thank you.

Do you realize this question is about using a drive switch for internal hard drives, a gadget you can install to turn internal drives on or off. Few people seem to know about this gadget you can buy from Amazon.

From your answer, it seems one needs to tell Windows about removing the internal drive before turning it off on the drive switch.
    That's correct. The safely turn off function works for internal drives except for the OS drive for obvious reasons.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    That's correct. The safely turn off function works for internal drives except for the OS drive for obvious reasons.

Jerry
    Thank you. I cannot find a safely turn off function for internal hard drives in Windows 7. The task bar option is there only with external drives plugged in the USB,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Cornfield,

You need to change the removal policy in device manager.
    RemoveDrive.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Strangely the option is often available and people want to remove it, not add it. I suspect it depends on how Windows sees the drives on your computer and the controller / chip set. I removed the option for internal drives on my machine.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you. That answers my question. I have never seen that option for internal drives.

This means that, if my friend just turned off an internal drive with the switch gadget he might corrupt data, the same as might happen with an external USB drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This means that, if my friend just turned off an internal drive with the switch gadget he might corrupt data, the same as might happen with an external USB drive
    Yes, very easy to corrupt a drive when not using Safely Remove as Windows may still be writing to it.

Another consideration is to turn off the Recycle Bin and System Restore for those drives desired to be turned off.

jwoods
    I don't think internal hard drives have a Safely Remove option...that is for external USB devices.

This article may be helpful...

http://superuser.com/questions/36528...ff-when-i-want
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-03-28 at 16:03.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I don't think internal hard drives have a Safely Remove option...that is for external USB devices.

This article may be helpful...

http://superuser.com/questions/36528...ff-when-i-want
    It does on my systems - Windows 7, 8, and 10. If you only have one drive it won't show up because you can't remove the system drive.

RG, it shows up for the non system drives on my systems with Write Caching enabled.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jerry,

The drive in my screen shot is a Non-System drive (and Write Caching is enabled). The system drive is an SSD.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, I guess I thought your screen shot was implying you had to turn Write caching off to get it to show in Safely remove hardware since that's the option you yellowed out. At my age, i get easily confused.

Jerry

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    If you only have one drive it won't show up because you can't remove the system drive.
    I knew that.

I didn't see any documentation in my 5 minutes of searching on turning off internal drives using Safely Remove.

The turning off indexing and using power options seemed to be a better solution than using a switch, or manually using Safely Remove.

Thanks
    From what I've read, internal drives only show up in Safely Remove hardware if they are SATA drives running in AHCI mode since they are Hot Swappable. They won't show up if they are IDE or are SATA drives running in IDE mode.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast