New Lounger
    Thanks

Stop autoplay videos in all browsers

I'm really fed up with websites that autoplay videos, and the lack of apparent good solutions in any browser for this epidemic.

You know what I'm talking about. You'll be doing something in one window when suddenly an ad starts blasting at you from another tab, made even more infuriating when you have several tabs and/or multiple browsers open and can't immediately identify the offender. Or you'll click on a site to read an article or news report but the site automatically starts playing a crappy video report, mainly to force the pre-roll ads on you.

I realize there are ways in each browser to block, filter or click-to-play Flash content but none of them are granular enough. Anytime I enable these controls they end up breaking numerous websites. Sometimes those sites won't function acceptably at all, other times you'll get to something like a submission form that's blocked, and then clicking to allow it refreshes the form or the whole site and everything is permanently lost. in IE, once you click the bar to allow a video to play I believe that site automatically gets added to the Allowed list so the next time you visit you're right back to where you started from with autoplaying videos and ads.

Are any browser makers doing anything to address this? It's been going on for way too long for there not to be better ways to put the user back in control. I almost suspect the browser makers are complicit in enabling the advertising industry to do this because of the amount of money, and associated influence, that gives it.

I'd welcome any innovative suggestions beyond the typical privacy/add-on settings, installing Flashblock or uninstalling Flash.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See if disabling the Shockwave ActiveX Control add-on has any effect.

You'll may need to use the dropdown to select All add-ons to see them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKS View Post
    in IE, once you click the bar to allow a video to play I believe that site automatically gets added to the Allowed list so the next time you visit you're right back to where you started from with autoplaying videos and ads.
    You can click the "Block content" ActiveX filtering circle icon again after viewing whatever you wanted though (if you remember; I agree "Allow once" would be easier).

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    See if disabling the Shockwave ActiveX Control add-on has any effect.
    Shockwave still isn't Flash!
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-03-28 at 18:51.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    DKS,

If you use FireFox you can get the FlashBlock addon which will do what you want. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-30)

Thanks

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    DKS,

If you use FireFox you can get the FlashBlock addon which will do what you want. HTH
    I just recently dumped Flashblock in Firefox and now just set the Flash Plug-in to "Ask to Activate".

Works great for me, and one less Add-on needed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-30)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Shockwave still isn't Flash!
    I know - but a lot of adverts still use Shockwave ActiveX and when you disable that add-on all you will get where they were is the small box with a black cross in it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had already tried most, if not all of the suggestions here before posting this thread. The problem is that using any of these filtering or blocking methods breaks so much functionality on various websites they all become just as aggravating as the problem I'm trying to solve.

Just to be sure I wasn't missing the obvious, I re-enabled the Flashblock add-on in Firefox last night. Sure enough today I went to the ABC News site so look at a clip I was interested in seeing, and it would not play. It didn't give me a click-to-play arrow or flash logo or any indication that it was even a video at all. All I saw was a still picture. Only once I disabled the Flashblock add-on could I watch it, and then it autoplayed which was what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

I tried in Chrome which I have set to click-to-play as described in that digiwonk article above, and same result, I could not watch that video.

The bottom line is NONE of these methods are reliable or granular enough to put the user in control of websites with autoplaying videos and ads, without creating new problems and frustrations. And as you can see from the digiwonk article it's not just me, there are enough people out there aggravated by it to write articles about how to address it. Even if they did work -- which they don't acceptably -- the solutions aren't even easy enough for the average user to intuitively know how to do anyway.

When are the browser makers going to actually do something about this?

jwoods
    Flash is gradually being replaced by HTLM5 video as the new "standard", but it will be around for a while.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKS View Post
    Just to be sure I wasn't missing the obvious, I re-enabled the Flashblock add-on in Firefox last night. Sure enough today I went to the ABC News site so look at a clip I was interested in seeing, and it would not play. It didn't give me a click-to-play arrow or flash logo or any indication that it was even a video at all.
    I just fixed Flashblock in Firefox using this simple patch. Note: the article is a bit wordy.
    http://technotes.whw1.com/computer-r...-click-problem

cheers, Paul