Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Pictures file from laptop to portable hard drive

I wanted to back up my pictures that are on my laptop. I have about 10 gb of pictures and about 2 gb of videos.
    My question is about the best way to copy them over to a portable hard drive. Within my main "Pictures" folder on my laptop, I've got approx. 260 sub-folders of pictures, (for example Christmas 2014, Bermuda trip 2010, etc.) and I was wondering if I have to copy each individual sub-folder or can I just click on the main "Pictures" folder and will that move over all the sub-folders as they are now? (I hope I'm explaining myself clearly!). What I want to wind up with on the portable hard drive is each "sub-folder" listed individually, just like I can see them now on my laptop when I open up the "Pictures" folder. I thought it would certainly speed things up if I could move them all in one fell swoop - instead of copying over each individual sub-folder in the Pictures main folder. I'll be moving the videos as well, and would assume the copying procedure would be the same as whatever I do for the pictures. Many thanks for any wisdom you can send my way!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam,

Don't see why you can't just copy over the "Pictures" folder. ??Is there already a "Pictures" folder on the destination drive??

Zig

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Pam,

The easiest way would be to open two copies of Windows/File Explorer.

1. Open the first copy by clicking on the folder icon in the task bar.
    2. Open the second copy by holding shift when clicking on the same icon (as you'll now have two) in your task bar.
    3. Size each to half of your monitor (Click on one Hold Down the Windows Key and press the left arrow key. Then Click on the other and do the same but with the right arrow key.)
    4. In the Right hand copy navigate to your external drive in the left pane of Explorer.
    5. In the left hand copy of Explorer and drag and drop your pictures folder on the External drive in the Navigation pane of the right hand copy of Explorer.
    6. Now just wait for the copy to complete.
    7. Repeat for the Videos folder.

DandD-Pam.JPG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-29),PamKoryn (2015-03-31)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig - No - the external drive is brand new with nothing on it yet.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your detailed response. If I do it this way - once I've copied everything when I click on the "Pictures" or "Videos" folder on the new external hard drive, will it then show the sub-folders like it does now on my laptop?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "once I've copied everything when I click on the "Pictures" or "Videos" folder on the new external hard drive, will it then show the sub-folders like it does now on my laptop"
    --- I just tried My Pictures folder and it worked for me.
    When you try it, then open the folder on your external hard drive and you will see all of your pictures just as they are on your laptop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PamKoryn View Post
    If I do it this way - once I've copied everything when I click on the "Pictures" or "Videos" folder on the new external hard drive, will it then show the sub-folders like it does now on my laptop?
    YES.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all so much. You've saved me much time and effort in accomplishing this project!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Pam,

The easiest way would be to open two copies of Windows/File Explorer.

1. Open the first copy by clicking on the folder icon in the task bar.
    2. Open the second copy by holding shift when clicking on the same icon (as you'll now have two) in your task bar.
    3. Size each to half of your monitor (Click on one Hold Down the Windows Key and press the left arrow key. Then Click on the other and do the same but with the right arrow key.)
    4. In the Right hand copy navigate to your external drive in the left pane of Explorer.
    5. In the left hand copy of Explorer and drag and drop your pictures folder on the External drive in the Navigation pane of the right hand copy of Explorer.
    6. Now just wait for the copy to complete.
    7. Repeat for the Videos folder.

DandD-Pam.JPG

HTH
    This method will work and it sounds as if it did work for the OP but I disagree that it is the easiest way. The easiest way would be to right-click on the Pictures folder on the C: drive within Windows/File Explorer and select "Copy" then navigate to the root of the external drive, right-click and select "Paste". Opening 2 copies of Windows/File Explorer may make things easier to visualize but makes the actual process much more complicated than it actually is.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to strollin For This Useful Post:

PamKoryn (2015-03-31)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    strollin your point is well taken In the computer world most activities can be accomplished in more than one way. Myself I use the copy and paste method using a batch file unless its just a one time need. I have also seen visual methods helpful for someone new on what to do and that applied to me once. Eventually I "graduated" to my system

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you left drag'n'drop the folder to the icon representing the portable drive, the folder will be copied (the default action across drives). You can always right drag'n'drop and choose from the context menu.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-30),PamKoryn (2015-03-31)

jwoods
    A great tool for this kind of backup is Beyond Compare by Scooter Software...

http://www.scootersoftware.com/home.php

The ability to see new files and folders, changed files and folders, and sync only those to the backup data store with two clicks instead of manually selecting files or copying the contents of entire folders, is well worth the price of admission.

Also helpful if a file is accidentally deleted in either the source or the backup data store...the tool shows the differences.