Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Strange sound! From another dimension?

Ok maybe not but I have had the strangest thing happening for a couple of weeks. Maybe once a day or twice. Today it happened several times in the space of 2 hours. My speakers emit an "werk" or mabe "erk" heck maybe even "jerk". This happens in a really fast short spurt. I was on the NY Times web site in chrome in the back ground when this was happening today . I have 'slept' the computer and may try to trouble shoot it when I get back from work. I am not really sure where to start

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Zorgons are attempting to contact you. Act friendly and don't make any sudden movements!

Thanks
    From another dimension - Time Warp?

Thanks
    Mostly happening while you are listening to News & Sports? I'm wondering if something else is trying to "hail" you, like a single-note sound alert from a security program, email arrived, etc.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Maybe the Zorgons are gone, oops where did that board get to?! Have not heard it for weeks now.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    It is your inner "good sense" attempting to get you away from that warped web site!
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They're now trying to contact me! I'm serious - my speakers are putting out three tones - a high one, a middle one, and a low one. It does this over and over as long as the speakers are turned on. The Vulcans would not contact us with our present world condition and no warpdrive signature, but the Klingons might!

Thanks
    And our only option is to hire a Протон-М to help us escape...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's Klingons, acting friendly is exactly the wrong thing to do.

Make yourself look bigger and taller. Wear half gloves and a leather jacket. Shout at the computer, "Today is a good day to die!!"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the Klingons contact or see the actions of a certain mideast terrorist group, they'll probably stay away!

Thanks
    Or maybe we could have someone over there say something nasty to those Klingons
    David

Thanks
    It might just be simpler to go into your Control Panel and "Sounds" and check out all the sounds that are set up to come on at different events, and reprogram most of them to "NONE" except the ones you need. OK? It's what I do!
    Depending on the theme you're using, there are some really weird little chirps, squaks and squeeks.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i keep my speakers off because there are always pointless and annoying noises coming from somewhere

solution
    dont use chrome and
    turn off your speakers

go to windows and turn off all sounds
    that will get rid of some of them unless they come from outside the pc then just turn off the speakers

Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Ok maybe not but I have had the strangest thing happening for a couple of weeks. Maybe once a day or twice. Today it happened several times in the space of 2 hours. My speakers emit an "werk" or mabe "erk" heck maybe even "jerk". This happens in a really fast short spurt. I was on the NY Times web site in chrome in the back ground when this was happening today . I have 'slept' the computer and may try to trouble shoot it when I get back from work. I am not really sure where to start

Thanks
    It might just be simpler to go into your Control Panel and "Sounds" and check out all the sounds
    I never seem to choose simpler
    But it does bring something to mind, what is a good program to change (lower) the inherent volume of a wav file?

i keep my speakers off because there are always pointless and annoying noises coming from somewhere
    I used to get that at work a lot

One of the reasons I love my keyboard is the handy mute button for when the NYT or something wants to run one of those little vid ads w/o a stop button...
    David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Those are the sounds that go with your photo scheme - they're from Gallopin' Gertie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast