New Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore does not work

Hi. I have a Dell Optiplex 780 desktop with Windows 7 Professional. The last few times I have tried to use System Restore it runs through it's cycle, restarts the computer, then says it "failed" and no changes were made. My scans with Avast and Malwarebytes show no malware. Anyone know how to get "System Restore" working again? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Have you tried running System Restore in Safe mode?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Have you tried running System Restore in Safe mode?
    Oh yes, even in Safe Mode it fails to do the System Restore.

Thanks
    Perform a System File Check (SFC) next, and then try running System Restore again.

Note: SFC may prompt you for a Windows DVD if more than minor repairs are needed.

If still no luck, disable all security software as well as the Windows Firewall and then check to see if that solved the problem.

Note: Antivirus software and the Windows Firewall help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable either. If you have to temporarily disable them, make sure you re-enable them as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your they are disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

jwoods
    After running System Restore from Safe Mode, reboot *again* into Safe Mode and let the restore complete.

I have seen AV software block it when booting into regular Windows.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Event Viewer may have something recorded for the failures.

Press the Windows key then type eventvwr and press enter.

When it has read the logs click on Error then on Show All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane - the date and time stamps for when you tried the system restore are the best ones to look for, or try the restore again and then go into Event Viewer after the fail.

The sfc /scannow may resolve but another route to restoring is through the Recovery Environment which is outside of Windows.

Boot up into the Advanced Boot options and select Repair your Computer, change/confirm as you are prompted and in the RE use the Restore option.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-30 at 05:11.