New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry New PC freezes during network activity after being on for a while

Hi, I have a new Lenovo W540 running Windows 7, and it is slowing to a crawl or freezing during network activity, after it has been on for a while. When I first reboot the PC, it performs fine for a while (e.g. several hours). However, at some point, its performance transforms to a new state, and the machine slows to a crawl (e.g. mouse barely responds) during any substantial network activity (e.g. streaming video or audio). The interesting thing is that this happens both when I've disconnected the ethernet cable and turned on the wireless adapter, and when I've turned off the wireless adapter and plugged in the ethernet cable. Windows claims both adapters are up to date and that there are no IRQ conflicts. There was one incident when the PC actually blue-screened when it was in this slow state, with error code xa (IRQL). Restarting the machine fixes the problem, but sometimes it hangs during shutdown and I have to power-cycle the machine to restart it. I'm about to the point of returning the machine and trying a different model

Thanks
    When you first run Windows 7 (before the slowdown occurs), run Task Manager, and click on the Processes tab. Sort on CPU, with the highest number at the top of the list.

When the slowdown occurs, you should be able to see what is causing it, by looking at Task Manager. If something has a high number in the CPU column, that is likely your culprit. Highlight the process and then click End Process, to see if that speeds things up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Matthew Englehart (2015-03-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not a CPU load issue

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. Unfortunately, I have done this. The CPU load is actually low when the slow down occurs, and no process is taking more than 1 or 2% of the CPU resource (and yes, I have selected to display processes for all users). It's crazy - the mouse is slowing to a crawl, audio is stuttering, but the CPU load is low.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If it's new, return under warranty.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugcheck is usually caused by either a Kernel mode driver, System Service, BIOS, Windows, Virus scanner, Backup tool or compatibility. http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x0000000A

Windows is close to useless when it comes to updating drivers, best to get them from the maker, esp. with notebooks: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/prod.../thinkpad-w540 is the starting page for yours.

To enable us to have a chance to work out what the problem is, we'll need some real data and crash dumps to analyse. Carefully read and follow the instructions here and attach your logs to a reply here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm wondering if some monitoring and/or security program might be a little too assertive? Sometimes monitoring/security assertiveness causes overall or specific functionality [functionality=normal OPs computer was purchased for] problems. I'm just straw-grasping.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD data

Hi, I just followed the BSOD instructions. I should note that at the time I followed the instructions, the machine is in a good state - performance is as desired, and there is no sluggishness while watching videos. If it helps, I can rerun the tests when the machine has entered a bad state and attach those results then as well.

Here are the answers to the questions in the BSOD instructions:

OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? 7.1
    x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
    What was original installed OS on system? 7.1
    Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? OEM
    Age of system (hardware) <1 yr
    Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? < 1 month - no

CPU? Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.7GHz
    Video Card - NVidia Quadro K2100M
    System Manufacturer - Lenovo
    Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) W540
    Laptop or Desktop? laptop
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-03-30 at 14:52. Reason: Removed Ebay links

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Note in the attached dmp files that the last one, which occurred on 3/26, was during extensive network usage

jwoods
    I would suggest a couple of things to help in troubleshooting.

1. Check Problem Devices in System Info...

Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools > View Advanced System Details in System Information.

Expand the Components section and click on Problem Devices.

2. Run a System Health Report...

Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools > Generate a System Health Report.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure there aren't two anti-virus programs running in competition with each other. One may have been pre-installed by the supplier, perhaps as a trial, and you may have installed your own without realising.

Thanks
    Gut feeling is that Netgear Genie and it's cohorts, WinPCap drivers/dlls, are responsible for this.

In PerfMon, the Handles associated with Genie amount to close to 10k - that's much higher than anything else on your system. In a similar topic (lots of 0xA BSODs), the Handles reported by PerfMon were 10.5k.

You can enable Handles to show in TaskMan's Processes tab by going to View > Select Columns and checking the Handles box. Total Handles open on the system are shown by default on the Performance tab. (Recently rebooted, my current stats are 17k overall, highest Process ~1.8k.)

Check in (Add/Remove) Programs and uninstall Netgear Genie and WinPCap if they're there (I don't see them listed in the start menu/Programs). If they're not there, then perhaps the Cisco software installer included them?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll try removing netgear genie. That would explain why the issue is there for both wired and wireless. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks
    No worries, any queries and we'll be here.

Good luck.