Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

HP printer started dropping IP address

I have had the sudden onset of my HP P1505n printer dropping its IP address and therefore not remaining accessible to the network. It started after a failed attempt to upgrade my network by adding an ASUS AC68U router. Prev. network connected via ASUS RT N56U. Printer worked flawlessly through LAN connection, dynamic IP. Added AC68U, reconfigured the N56U as access point. WiFi portion worked beautifully for ~48 hrs then started dropping Wi fi connections left and right. From the start of the AC68U router addition, the printer would not keep its IP. Changed to static assignment of IP yet problem persisted. Would print the test page upon driver installation but “dropped IP” in process. ASUS tech support advised that router would not work in the configuration I wanted and authorized a return. I then rolled back network to prior configuration, without the AC68U (previous use of the RT N56U had worked flawlessly) but the dropped IP problem persists. Followed other Windows Secret’s threads advice but made no difference. Have uninstalled/reinstalled drives, changed IP addresses, used the virtual address, worked with ASUS support (they claim their routers do not support this printer and were surprised it ever worked in the first place), all to no avail. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. ( All computers on network are running Win 7 – 64bit )

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How do you know the printer is dropping the IP address?
    That printer will allow you to connect via your browser. Can you connect and see how the IP address is obtained?
    Have you tried connecting via the DNS name instead of IP address?

ASUS support are obviously not very bright, the printer is self contained and only needs an IP address to work.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Locutus01 (2015-04-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the paragraph.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Please try and be nicer FN.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Locutus01 (2015-04-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your insight. Sorry if I'm a little long winded. I'm not sure if it is the printer, more suspicious of the router (the DHCP server). Factory restore on the ASUS N56 router, re-entered all of the config. data (both manually and via saved config. file). Upon loading printer drivers, last step prints a test page. Then it won't print, pings time out, the printed configuration page typically indicates that the IP, gateway, subnet all read 0's. I can force a reset on the printer, browse to the configuration page and typically the IP address has changed. It does not seem to matter if the DHCP is set to manually assign the IP (static) or dynamic. Nor does it seem to matter if the printer config is set for manual or auto (tried it with all those combinations). Sudo15, Thank you for the suggested reading. I reviewed the link and have attempted those steps. Unfortunately, no change. Although in my multiple attempts to bring the printer back on, I seem to have created problems for the rest of the network. Now the TVs and Ipads are losing their connection altogether or remaining connected to the network but no Internet Access. Speculating, something to do with the IP leases expiring, it seems to happen in batches and the IP or default gateways keep changing (even when router set to keep them static)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many of the threads on the HP Forums site indicate others having similar problems which spontaneously resolve. No such luck. I changed to a different static IP address at the printer and at the router. It's keeping the IP address but it still will not print. Attempting to print test page fires up the printer which hums for few seconds then stop. At this point the printer is not longer recognized on network. ping times out indicating destination unreachable. After a hard reset, it has the same IP address, responds to ping/appears on network but still cannot print. In the meantime, I've been able to use the USB connection and HomeGroups to enable "network" printing. But this requires that I leave my station on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus01 View Post
    Many of the threads on the HP Forums site indicate others having similar problems which spontaneously resolve. No such luck. I changed to a different static IP address at the printer and at the router. It's keeping the IP address but it still will not print. Attempting to print test page fires up the printer which hums for few seconds then stop. At this point the printer is not longer recognized on network. ping times out indicating destination unreachable. After a hard reset, it has the same IP address, responds to ping/appears on network but still cannot print. In the meantime, I've been able to use the USB connection and HomeGroups to enable "network" printing. But this requires that I leave my station on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    If you assign a static IP addresses and DHCP is enabled, you will have issues when DHCP tries to automatically assign an IP address that is already being used.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    If you assign a static IP addresses and DHCP is enabled, you will have issues when DHCP tries to automatically assign an IP address that is already being used.
    Unless you reserve the IP address in the DHCP server.

Jerry

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Unless you reserve the IP address in the DHCP server.

Jerry
    Doesn't seem to be the case based on the description of the issue.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you go back to your original set up just using the N56U to see if that still gets the printer to print ?

Could also be worth checking that the Print Spooler service is showing as Started and Auto, but having clicked on it you can use the Restart link top left.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-05 at 18:20.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your help. The assigned static IP is outside the range of addresses for the DHCP (192.168.1.4 for the printer; DHCP is set for the range 192.168.1.50 through 192.168.1.245) which should avoid the address conflict. I did revert back to the original set up with just the N56U. I used the back up config. files that I had saves and I've tried manually re-entering all the settings. I've tried different cables. One difference is that in the prior set up I did NOT assign a static IP. But the DHCP server never failed to connect with the HP/issue the IP; it has always worked. I will look in to the Print Spooler settings. Thanks Again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus01 View Post
    ...The assigned static IP is outside the range of addresses for the DHCP (192.168.1.4 for the printer; DHCP is set for the range 192.168.1.50 through 192.168.1.245) which should avoid the address conflict...
    I'd suggest set the printer to a fairly high IP (e.g.: 192.168.1.150) to help avoid IP conflicts with other connected devices.

You will also need to go into "Printer Properties" on each device you want to print from and change the TCP/IP port setting to match (i.e.: also 192.168.1.150).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Locutus01 (2015-04-06)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I have static IP addresses and also those assigned via DHCP, I don't have any issues as I know the DHCP pool.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin, I'm curious. I selected/assigned a static IP address outside but BELOW the DHCP range. You are recommending a static IP that is outside but HIGHER than the DHCP range. Why higher rather than lower? I have assigned static IPs for all of my desktops, peripherals, TVs and connected devices except for the mobile devices that come and go. And thank you for your assistance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast