Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need suggestions for a new email account

I'd like to open a new, web-based email account, so that I can have an account that will follow me if I change service providers. I looked into gmail, but being Google, I find it to be too intrusive for my comfort.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Juno is one more option.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Get your own domain (for example, LesF.com or LesF.org). You can host it with anyone you want. As long as you pay the +/- $15 per year domain registration fee, it is yours forever. If you host it with A, and then later you decide to change to another company, you can move it to B.

My domain is hosted with Dotster.com. You could start with them, or any number of other companies.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-03-30 at 15:38.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Fastmail.fm to host my email at my domain.
    GoDaddy works as well and will register the domain for you so everything is in one place.
    You could just choose a free email host, but they all use your information for marketing, that's why it's free.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your replies.

Why do I need my own domain? All I want to be able to do is open a browser on the web (from whichever ISP I happen to be with, or wherever I have web access), and open my web-based email for reading or sending.

Thanks
    ...and thus we're back to Juno; it does exactly what you last posted. I thinking it's a good idea if you make backups from juno server to your hard-drive periodically if such can be done.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland, thanks, I will look at Juno. I'm hoping it just sits there and minds it's own (not my) business until I need to use it, but I'm also not naive enough to believe that'll ever happen.
    Thanks again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Roland.

Well, I tried to open an email account with Juno, but I couldn't bring myself to provide all of the invasive information they wanted (name, address, current e-mail, age, income, etc.). It's just none of their business. I realize that they want this info to send targeted ads (spam) to me. I'm OK with ads to my new email address (it is free, after all), but that's as much as I'm willing to accept.

So, unless there's some way to simply open a throw-away email account without divulging my life history, I'm gonna forget the whole thing.

Thanks for trying.

Thanks
    I have two Yahoo accounts, one Gmail and one Outlook one. And I get no targeted ads or emails. I very rarely get spam either. So I'm happy with these. I use Tbird to monitor them.

Gmail's anti spam is very good. Yahoo's is as well, though I occasionally get a false positive. I then just login to the web browser and mark it as not spam and all is well again.

I don't remember being asked many questions and some I left blank, so I'm surprised you say they were asking for 'life history'.

YMMV

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I started using hotmail.com (now outlook.com) back in the 1990's and it works for me. I also have gmail and yahoo accounts but don't use them as I prefer outlook. I mostly use Windows Live Mail as my email client but like the ability to access my hotmail account from any device with a browser.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=access-mdb;994083
    Gmail's anti spam is very good.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't think Gmail's anti-spam is very good at all, quite the contrary.
    I get a lot of spam, but more annoyingly is the need to regularly check the spam folder to find the emails incorrectly labelled as spam: there are always several.
    Hotmail/Outlook.com is far better in this regard in my experience.

Thanks
    There are a few web-based email you can use.....these are the big three.
    Gmail
    Outlook.com
    Yahoo

Then there is AOL, yes it's still kicking around and Mail.com

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/bes...email-clients/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Thanks for all your replies.

Why do I need my own domain? All I want to be able to do is open a browser on the web (from whichever ISP I happen to be with, or wherever I have web access), and open my web-based email for reading or sending.
    You stated, in your original post, "I'd like to open a new, web-based email account, so that I can have an account that will follow me if I change service providers. I looked into gmail, but being Google, I find it to be too intrusive for my comfort."

In order to own it forever, and never have to ever change your email address again, you will need to have your own domain. If you get a Yahoo, hotmail, or other free email account, you can keep it forever, but you said that Google is too intrusive for your comfort; and in reality, they are all intrusive. The reason they give you a free email account is so that they can grab your information, analyze it, package it, and sell it. Or, they will at least sell ads based on your personal information.

If you want a non-intrusive, permanent webmail address, then I suggest that you go to http://www.startmail.com. You'll have to pay for the email, but if you want privacy, then they are the people to go with.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

cloudsandskye (2015-04-13)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You don't need your own domain, but it can be a nice touch. A friend of mine took quite a while to find a pen and paper to write my address down and when I said it was myfirstname@mylastname.com he was not pleased.

If you don't want to provide all the data they think they need, make it up. I always make stuff up - never give real data over the web if possible - and store it in my password manager in case I need it later.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have my own domain and even have an email address of mail@mydomainname.net. However, I don't use that email address because I still prefer using my hotmail account. I have archived emails in my hotmail account dated as far back as 1998. It's definitely not necessary to own a domain to be able to have an email addy that you own forever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast