Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

help and guidance needed after self inflicted havoc

hello everyone;
    for many years Iíve been satisfactorily using MS Office 2003 [only Word, Excel and Picture Manager installed].
    desktop shortcuts of my Excel files opened the program OK.
    btw, Iím running W7 Home Premium.
    last week I tried to open two instances of Excel, it came a dialog box indicating the opening of personal.xls in read only mode, and other options.
    I CONFESS created havoc and damaged some setup. Itís MY FAULT.
    subsequent attempts to open files by clicking shortcuts returned permission to allow MS to make changes to this computer, and after approval, the message ďThere was a problem sending the command to the programĒ.
    Excel opens blank.
    browsing the web, learned itís an issue related to personal.xls file which is hidden, but nevertheless managed to locate it C:\Documents and Settings\DR\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART.
    since then, Iíve made many trials, changing settings here and there, but the problem remains.
    current scenario:
    personal.xls is NOT in read only mode.
    going the conventional way (start>all programs>office>excel), STILL brings the permission request from MS, which then opens excel with a book 1 clean new sheet.
    right click on File at the menu bar displays previous open files, selecting the one I want will open it, otherwise, I have to go to its location to open it.
    setting in tools>options>general ďignore other applicationsĒ ON or OFF makes no difference.
    I would like to request the forum for help and guidance.
    1) I have the disks and could reload Office (iirc, there is a possibility to select which programs to install), but I have some macros and have also been able to create buttons which run them (thanks to the assistance from this site gurus!!!).
    I fear re-installation will override personal.xls and I will lose my macros and my hard worked to get buttons.
    2) I also have the disks of Office 2007, which I once tried in other machine.
    at the time, I didnít found any significant reason motivating me to upgrade. my needs are relatively modest.
    I mention this seeking the forum to advice if upgrading might help solve the problem; keeping the macros, of course.
    thanks in advance for you help

daniel rozenberg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Daniel,

1. Copy your Personal.xls file to some external media like a flash drive.
    2. Delete the Personal.xls file from your XLStart directory.
    3. Reboot and see if Excel starts normally.
    4. If it does record some simple macro and save it to your NEW personal.xls file which the system will have created.
    5. Copy your OLD personal.xls file back to somewhere on your hard drive giving it a new name in the process.
    6. Open the old file and then via the VBE manually copy & paste the macros from the old file to the new Personal.xls.
    7. Close all files and exit Excel.
    8. Restart Excel and see if it comes up normally.

If this doesn't work post back and we'll explore other options.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG,

THANKS !!!

I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.

BR.

daniel.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG;

Did steps 1 & 2.
    Excel doesn't start normally.

Thanks
    Daniel,

Time to completely remove (revo uninstaller or such) Excel and reinstall. Yes, you can selectively install office applications just read the screens carefully. Once reinstalled you can recover your personal.xls as detailed above. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG;
    OK, will proceed and keep you posted.
    Thanks again.

DR.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG;
    Before i start i'll beg for your patience.
    Used revo 1.94, and selected moderate feature, as it seemed the recommended one.
    it proceeded as normally an uninstaller would do, requesting the CD, and reporting when job done.
    however, after that, scanned for registry and links related, and found about 32660 in the registry, asking to CAREFULLY to select which ones in bold i would select to delete.
    i confess (yes, publicly) that there are two things in computing that terrify me: fooling around with the registry, and having to edit VBA.
    i have NO knowledge to attempt any action there, AND know that some errors can be FATAL.
    so, i skipped the deleting, but nevertheless opened CCleaner afterwards to solve existing registry issues.
    it found a lot (not 32660), but proceeded to solve those issues.
    i reloaded Office 2003 and the problem subsist, no difference from what described yesterday. furthermore, the Excel that opens is identical to the one (macros and buttons) as before, and (something strange) Office has not created a new personal.xls.
    C:\Documents and Settings\DR\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART is now empty.
    now; sorry for the VERY stupid question:
    if i repeat the revo uninstall, should i delete ALL these registry keys?
    if so, am i protected from damaging my W7 OS? (i'd create a system restore point, just in case).
    advice, please
    TIA.

daniel rozenberg

Thanks
    Daniel,

Before we get drastic!

Check out Tools -> Options -> General Tab (see below)
    Excel2003-1.JPG
    Do you have anything in the At Startup box? If so you need to check the files there, you may have a copy of your Personal.xls there!

If that is not the case I'd prefer a full drive Image backup first! If you can't do that then yes take a Restore Point. If you don't have the other Office products customized to much you may want to consider completely uninstalling all of Office and start from scratch. In either case before continuing make sure you run through Windows Update until it is clean after the reinstall! (Make sure you have WU set to get updates for other MS Products, i.e. Office).

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG;
    thanks AGAIN for your help.
    i don't find anything at start (pls see attachment).
    so............i believe NOW it's time to stop and assess the situation.
    lemme xplain:
    i am a 75 years YOUNG retired electronic h/w designer. one motto in our trade was "don't change too many things at the same time".
    this is NOT my first failure. i hope to remain "vertical" long enough to get (and endure and overcome) some more.
    i have another pc identical to this (less ram, and runs xp pro skp3), where i installed office 2007, with spk3.
    i copied there the files i'm most concerned with, planted shortcuts in desktop, and got it operating OK.
    the reason i'm explaining all this is because i'm reluctant to go SO DRASTICALLY (as you very well put it), when an alternative solution seems available.
    browsing the web i learned that it could be possible to keep 2003 while installing 2007.
    i plan to go that way over the weekend, and if it works, my "punishment" form my stupid creation of havoc will be the learning of 2007; which might not be too serious, because i am young and have plenty of time for that.
    this might not mean "you'll get rid of me", only that (probably) i'll post another quest for help with excel 2007, but that will be another story.
    nevertheless, i'll report this weekend the outcome of 2007.
    thank you VERY MUCH for your kind assistance.

daniel rozenberg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, would tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One) be of any help?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Roland,

I don't think it's a Windows problem but an Office problem.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    On ONE computer I have xl97, 2003,2007,2010, & 2013 all installed and working properly. The trick is NOT install in the same folder. Make a different folder for each Office. Then, the only problem is Outlook.(Can ONLY have one installed)
    Don Guillett
    Excel Developer
    dguillett @gmail.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Supershoe For This Useful Post:

danielr2 (2015-04-04)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi everyone;
    Thanks 2 U all for the support.
    i also happen to have a notebook which also runs W7 HP as this desktop. It has Office 2003 [O-2003] running OK.
    so, as a "dress rehearsal", last night I tried to install O-2007. When at about 75% finished, came "error 1311, missing file PA561401". i clicked try again, to no avail, and the installation reversed.
    it surprised me, because iirc i didn't have problems to install O-2007 in the other machine.
    browsing the web, found there is a whole 'protocol sequence' to install O-2007 either upgrading or coexisting with O-2003. MS changed things after XP.
    that file exists in O-2003 installation disks.
    i'm attaching some of what i got online.
    one recommendation is to copy full O-2007 disk to a folder, add PA561401 copied from O-2003 and run setup.exe from that folder (i don't know WHICH, so please contribute help if someone knows where).
    will try that again tomorrow, and report results.
    nevertheless, it's still a dress rehearsal in the notebook; my FEAR is that when i try (on the weekend), on this desktop (which seems to have something in O-2003 files corrupted), the conjunction of these factor would not work.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Don

On ONE computer I have xl97, 2003,2007,2010, & 2013 all installed and working properly.
    I have 2003,2007,2010, & 2013 all installed and working properly, with the exception of my 2003, which now does not let me add an ActiveX control to a worksheet. I am aware of the buggy Microsoft Dec2014 update which messed ActiveX controls. But the 'fixes' for that are not working for my 2003. Does your 2003 allow ActiveX controls to be added to a worksheet?

zeddy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zeddy For This Useful Post:

danielr2 (2015-04-04)

Thanks
    What is 0-2003
    Zeddy, Delete ALL .exd files from your computer
    Don Guillett
    Excel Developer
    dguillett @gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast