New Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor not detecting signal from VGA port

I have a Dell Inspiron 660 with a ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro. The card has ports for DVI, VGA, and S-Video.

I've been using one Dell S2240M monitor (has 1 DVI and 1 VGA port) connected via the DVI ports.

I just bought a second Dell S2240M monitor and tried to connect it with a VGA cable to the available VGA port on the PC. I cannot get the new monitor to detect a signal ("There is no signal coming from your computer.") I've tried it on auto detect and also manually selected VGA. I've gone into display properties and selected the 2nd monitor and asked it to extend the desktop, but still no signal.

I also tried connecting either monitor with only VGA and can't get a signal with either monitor, which tells me the VGA port is disabled or not working.

Under Device Manager, I have two items under display adapters:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
    Intel(R) HD Graphics

Drivers for both are up to date.

Any suggestions on what to try next?Rabifu

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That PC has an Intel I5 which has graphics built-in, then you have an additional graphics card. The most likely scenario is that the I5 graphics are disabled in the motherboard settings (BIOS). Re-boot the PC and press DEL repeatedly as it boots to get into the settings to check / change.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    That PC has an Intel I5 which has graphics built-in, then you have an additional graphics card. The most likely scenario is that the I5 graphics are disabled in the motherboard settings (BIOS). Re-boot the PC and press DEL repeatedly as it boots to get into the settings to check / change.

cheers, Paul
    I checked the BIOS settings and don't see any options related to graphics card, video cards, etc.

I do see a setting, Limit CPUID Value, which is a disabled. I understand this limits how much power the CPU is allowed to provide. Could that be disabling the built-in graphics card?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabifu View Post
    ...I just bought a second Dell S2240M monitor and tried to connect it with a VGA cable to the available VGA port on the PC. I cannot get the new monitor to detect a signal...
    When a VGA card such as your "ATI Radeon HD 2400" is present the computer's BIOS will disable the onboard video. If you connected the second monitor to the onboard VGA port that would explain why it is not getting a signal.

Connect both monitors to the HD2400, one w/ DVI cable and the other w/ VGA (AKA "analog") cable.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-31)

Thanks
    Just to confirm Coochin's advice. I had the same problem but fixed when I plugged the two monitors into the graphics card sockets (one DVI, one VGA).