Lounger
    Thanks

Dynamic disk option "not present"?

NOS is Server 2008 Standard SP2 -
    When using disk management, NOTING 'no selection' exists for 'dynamic disk' (nor for spanning, etc, associated with dynamic disk)
    This was a clean install... good drives, SATA drives, not on a laptop, etc, etc.

Where is my dynamic disk option? ;^)

Many thanks for any help or 'light on the subject!'

Be safe all.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You do not need dynamic disks in a server, in fact, you are better off letting your RAID controller do the disk work and Windows can then do the other stuff.
    To have a dynamic disk you either need to convert existing disks or delete partitions and re-create as dynamic.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul however I have two basic disks that are unused, want to go Raid 1 for some backup onto them... we do not want to hardware raid them as the board controller is not to my liking.
    But the OPPORTUNITY, the "option" to even select "dynamic disk" IS SIMPLY NOT present and that is more concerning right now than if we will or won't do a raid configuration... where IS IT and why IS IT not present. What is missing?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's not missing, the disks need to be converted.
    Can you post a Disk Management screen shot?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    No_Dynamic_Disk.jpgConversion will be hard without the 'selection' to do so...
    As you can see, it does not appear in the jpeg.
    I am wondering if the 'size' of the disk is causing this to be not available...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As I suspected, it's because the disk is the boot / OS disk. The only way around that is an image, re-partition and restore, but you'll have to pay for software to do that. Otherwise it's re-install from scratch.

cheers, Paul

p.s. I still wouldn't ever use software RAID.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, It doesn't allow for disk two or three either... the 'selection' for Dynamic disk is missing, you cannot select "convert to dynamic disk" (I am not interested in converting Disk 0 in any case...) just 1 and then 2... but neither will allow one to convert. I just right clicked on Disk 0 to show the 'lack of selection' and that lack exists on both disk 01 and others.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do you have the correct permissions?
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc731274.aspx

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes... Administrator level.
    I noted in another effort unrelated to dynamic disk an RPC error... looking into that as some of the peripheral indications seem to be related... RPC server not found.
    Rather interesting as disk 2 will not format due to that error. Could be naming, all the services needed 'are' running... registry, perhaps. Not sure... gotta love it.

Paul, I'm going away from this office... need to address some other network issues elsewhere. Will return to this and will definitely advise when/if we solve the problem. Thank you!